Four Winns transom leak

TmR72

Cadet
I have a 93' Four Winns with a OMC motor and Cobra outdrive. (not the King Cobra) I am leaking somewhere around the transom. I have replaced both bellows and some other seals when I removed the drive assembly a few months back. I believe the leak is coming from where the unit mates to the fiberglass. By the manual it looks like I will need only 2 seals. The strip seal around the housing and an interior seal. Is this all I will need? The book doesn't give great specifics. Any info on this teardown will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Four Winns transom leak

I have a 93' Four Winns with a OMC motor and Cobra outdrive. (not the King Cobra) I am leaking somewhere around the transom. I have replaced both bellows and some other seals when I removed the drive assembly a few months back. I believe the leak is coming from where the unit mates to the fiberglass. By the manual it looks like I will need only 2 seals. The strip seal around the housing and an interior seal. Is this all I will need? The book doesn't give great specifics. Any info on this teardown will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Howdy,

If you have a leak at the transom, you need to identify where it's leaking by putting it in the water and use whatever means are necessary (mirrors, flashlight etc) to determine where it's coming from.

It it's the actual transom seal, that could also mean a rotten transom. That will not be pretty. In any case, if you have to replace that seal, (which is on the outside), you will need to remove the drive, engine and transom-mount (in that order)

Any boat that as old as yours should be carefully checked for water intrusion into the transom, stringers, engine mount blocks etc. If your transom is rotten, there's not much you can do except either replace the transom, or remove the engine drive etc and replace the boat.

I know this sounds extreme but if you have a rotten transom, you'll never be able to maintain engine/drive alignment which will eventually destroy your coupler (and strand you)

By the manual it looks like I will need only 2 seals
Which manual are you talking about?

I only remember one seal.

#65 below

I don't think there's an "inner" seal associated with the inner transom plate.
transom_mount.png

If you have any luck figuring it out, can you please post your findings on here? I have the same problem with my 1990 Four Winns. I can see the water coming in through the middle of the cutout in the transom (not seeping in from around the cutout) which makes me think that it is something not sealed in the outdrive. My new bellows kit came in right before I had to leave town so I haven't had a chance to change them yet.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If you have any luck figuring it out, can you please post your findings on here? I have the same problem with my 1990 Four Winns. I can see the water coming in through the middle of the cutout in the transom (not seeping in from around the cutout) which makes me think that it is something not sealed in the outdrive. My new bellows kit came in right before I had to leave town so I haven't had a chance to change them yet.

The only reliable way to find a leak is to find the leak!

That may sound redundant but there's only a few places water can get through that transom. The drive bellows, shift cable bellows, transom seal, and maybe the raw water tube/hose. you have to closely inspect each and one of them requires removing the transom mount.

If it's the transom seal, it's usually due to the mounting studs/bolts being loose. They get loose when the transom is rotten.

Getting in there close with a light and mirror is about the only way to identify what is leaking.

Thanks for listing the four places it might be leaking at. I was trying to figure out by reading the manual where all I needed to look and wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing someplace. I love all the experience on this forum!

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

Place a finger on the transome hsg near the bottom so that it touches both the aluminum and the gelcoat. Have someone pull up and down on your outdrive. Can you feel the transom hsg move in and out against the tansome? If you can you probably have a bad transome seal and possibly transome rot.

James

TmR72

Cadet

Thanks for all the info. I can only hope like crazy that the transom is not rotten. I also found something in my haste replacing the bellows. The clamp on the exaust bellow was not on the rubber. Haven't tested it yet but from the looks of it this really can't be my leak, right? I read somewhere in here that a guy raised the front of the boat high and "loaded" the rear of the boat with water. Water on the inside should go out. Sounds like a good plan. Anybody else think the same? I have a SELOC manual for the years 86-98. If the seal on the outside is it, then that shouldn't be too bad a repair. As long as everything else is ok. Thanks again, all.

TmR72

Cadet

Place a finger on the transome hsg near the bottom so that it touches both the aluminum and the gelcoat. Have someone pull up and down on your outdrive. Can you feel the transom hsg move in and out against the tansome? If you can you probably have a bad transome seal and possibly transome rot.

James

I did this and the movement was so subtle I am wondering if I imagined it. Still crossing my fingers that it isn't the transom.

TmR72

Cadet

Been so busy but will try to keep up with my post and let you know my findings.

TmR72

Cadet

My problem is I live 2 hours to the nearest water. That is why I thought the water idea loaded in the rear might work.

Relatively good news on my leak front this evening, I dropped the outdrive all the way down in our shop, got a flashlight and took a good look at the bellows with the steering turned fully in each direction and there it was! About a one inch long tear in the upper bellows that couldn't be seen without the steering being turned completely to the left. At least it is not a transom issue (yet)! Tonight was carburetor overhaul night to try to fix my midrange power problem. It was full of crap so hopefully it will run much better now. Next step is to pull the outdrive and replace the bellows and steering seal since I will be in that area changing things. Am hoping that it is not too horrible changing all those parts out, book looks kind of intimidating but it will probably make more sense as I am actually doing it. Maybe later this week.....

TmR72

Cadet

Relatively good news on my leak front this evening, I dropped the outdrive all the way down in our shop, got a flashlight and took a good look at the bellows with the steering turned fully in each direction and there it was! About a one inch long tear in the upper bellows that couldn't be seen without the steering being turned completely to the left. At least it is not a transom issue (yet)! Tonight was carburetor overhaul night to try to fix my midrange power problem. It was full of crap so hopefully it will run much better now. Next step is to pull the outdrive and replace the bellows and steering seal since I will be in that area changing things. Am hoping that it is not too horrible changing all those parts out, book looks kind of intimidating but it will probably make more sense as I am actually doing it. Maybe later this week.....

Good deal on your bellow issue. Those aren't too bad to replace. I am a little worried as well about getting past the gimbal ring and beyond. But like you said once we're there it might go relatively easy..... I hope.

TmR72

Cadet

Sorry but I REALLY read the part about what I would have to remove. Your saying the engine has to come out? No way around that? I am kicking myself now because I had the engine out to replace it not that long ago.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If you have a tear in the drive bellows, YOU HAVE FOUND YOUR LEAK!

You should do a complete transom "service" though. (there's parts kits for that) That will include replacing the gimbal bearing along with the both bellows. You'll also be able to closely inspect your U-joints, etc..... Also plan on getting an alignment tool.

If you don't have an OEM OMC service manual, now would be a good time to get one.

I have the bellows kit which has all of the items you listed as well as a steering bellows. I also have on order the kit with the alignment tool and a few other tools off of e-bay so I think that I am getting set up to own this boat. As is normal, I have a feeling this boat wasn't as well maintained as I thought it was when I bought it. When I opened up the carb last night I was surprised it ran as well as it did, the inside was full of rust and junk. Hopefully it will be much better now that it is all cleaned out. I have a SELOC manual as well as the factory manual, figure I can use the SELOC manual for familiarization and the facotry manual for the actual work.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I have a feeling this boat wasn't as well maintained as I thought it was when I bought it.
That's more common than you might think.

I was surprised it ran as well as it did, the inside was full of rust and junk. Hopefully it will be much better now that it is all cleaned out.
The rust and junk in the bottom of the bowl undisturbed, usually doesn't affect the running much. It's more of a problem when you stir it up by taking it apart, then don't clean everything sufficiently when you put it back together.

I have a SELOC manual as well as the factory manual, figure I can use the SELOC manual for familiarization and the facotry manual for the actual work.
Conventional wisdom is they make great knee pads and are pretty good for starting your wood stove.....