OMC Cobra Similarities with Volvo

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy all, <br /><br />I've been doing a little searching and reading and it appears that a Volvo drive will replace newer Cobras simply be replacing the outdrive.<br /><br />How about the earlier Cobra? I have an 87 King Cobra and in the event that it needs major work and I cannot find parts easily I would like to just replace the whole thing, transom-plate back.<br /><br />Can I replace an 87 with a much newer King Cobra/Volvo by starting at the Gimble housing or would I have to just replace everything. If that is the case then would the newer Volvo bolt to the holes in the transom?(or for that matter a Mercury/Mercuiser too?)<br /><br /><br />I suspect that older Cobra stuff will be more or less available for quite some time and I do have a complete service manual, all the tools and a lot of shop space to swap this stuff around. But after hearing that Some Volvos will "bolt up" to "some" OMC Cobra installations, that Volvo Duo-prop is looking pretty attractive!<br /><br /><br />Thanks, <br /><br /><br />Rick

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Cobra Similarities with Volvo

It can be done, you have to get the kit to do it, the pivot housing has to be changed, and the shift cable is different as well. Then you have to add the engine mounted impeller. Don S has done this, he will know all the details. It's not cheap as you would imagine, since you have to buy the complete Volvo drive and conversion kit. But once you do it, you have something that will be reliable for years, and can be serviced more easily in most places.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunatly, there isn't a conversion kit for the 460 Ford, but I have done the changeover by using a kit for the 5.8 Ford and manufactured a bracket for the raw water pump to be belt driven on the starboard side, it required locating new pulleys for the front of the engine and shortening the bracket for the powersteering pump. Different hoses than in the kit. The pivot housing, changed as normal along with the spacers in the trim cylinders.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Thanks, <br /><br />Are you referring to the 87-93 Cobra/King Cobras needing the conversion kit and the newer 93 and newer models possibly not needing it? <br /><br />I thought the early 460/King Cobra was sort of "out there" by itself.<br /><br />I understand that I would have to add a raw water pump. I was concerned with gimble and assoc parts fit etc.<br /><br />I have read that the Volvo DP will bolt right to a newer OMC upper. (But I don't know how true that is).<br /><br />There's a LOT of info that can be had using a search engine. It's hard to tell which of it is true.<br /><br /><br />Thanks again, <br /><br />Rick<br /><br /><br />"Unfortunatly, there isn't a conversion kit for the 460 Ford, but I have done the changeover by using a kit for the 5.8 Ford and manufactured a bracket for the raw water pump to be belt driven on the starboard side, it required locating new pulleys for the front of the engine and shortening the bracket for the powersteering pump. Different hoses than in the kit. The pivot housing, changed as normal along with the spacers in the trim cylinders.<br /><br />--------------------<br />Don S.<br />Ketchikan, Alaska"<br /><br /><br />.

Don S

The uppers and lowers of the newer Cobra/SX or DP style drives will NOT bolt up to an older Cobra or King Cobra. <br /><br />The newer style will also NOT bolt onto a boat setup with an old style Cobra or King Cobra. UNLESS the kit that changes the pivot housing and other things is changed.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Ok, <br /><br />It appears that the DP etc drives will bolt up to NEWER Cobras. <br /><br />To make any of this stuff work in an older OMC setup I guess I would be replacing pretty much everything. (Which might be OK if I actually need to replace everything!)<br /><br /><br />Thanks for the info, Don.<br /><br /><br />Rick<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by Don S:<br /> The uppers and lowers of the newer Cobra/SX or DP style drives will NOT bolt up to an older Cobra or King Cobra. <br /><br />The newer style will also NOT bolt onto a boat setup with an old style Cobra or King Cobra. UNLESS the kit that changes the pivot housing and other things is changed.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

From looking at parts diagrams and parts #s on the www.dougrussell.com site, the OMC Cobra was redesigned in 94 and was sold with the Volvo Cobra SX as the joint venture product. It seems like those models are identical, in that nothing would have to be changed (those OMCs even had the engine mounted impeller) but I have never done this so don't know for sure. The 86-93 OMCs need the whole kit and the new drive.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Hi Lou, <br /><br />This is what it appears. It would have been nice to be able to make a simple swap but nothing is easy I guess!<br /><br /><br />tnx/RIck<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by Lou C:<br /> From looking at parts diagrams and parts #s on the www.dougrussell.com site, the OMC Cobra was redesigned in 94 and was sold with the Volvo Cobra SX as the joint venture product. It seems like those models are identical, in that nothing would have to be changed (those OMCs even had the engine mounted impeller) but I have never done this so don't know for sure. The 86-93 OMCs need the whole kit and the new drive.

Don S

From the outside, they do look the same, but there are some serious differences. The old OMC's with the water pump on the back and the old KING Cobra with the cone shift (Pre 93) that no one has ever seen, can NOT be directly replaced with the newer(93 and later) OMC/Volvo joint venture Cobra, or the later renamed SX drives. Not even the parts will interchange ........ It just ain't gonna happen my friend. I'm a Volvo tech, and have made the upgrades from the older Cobras to the newer drives and they are not a bolt on change.

fkonieczny18

Cadet

I am a little confused here so I want to clear this up. I have a 1995 OMC King Cobra (7.4L). Will a Volvo lower bolt up the the OMC upper? Will a complete Volvo bolt up to the ring? Thanks!!! If so, I would feel much better about parts and service.

Don S

Will a Volvo lower bolt up the the OMC upper?
It already is a Volvo lower!<br />In 1993, when Volvo and OMC went into the joint venture, Volvo put it's drive insides into an OMC Cobra housing (With only a few minor visable changes when on the boat). Somehow for reasons unknown to mankind, OMC decided to call 2 completely different drives the same thing. Hence the OMC Cobra name on the 93 and newer OMC/Volvo drives.<br />In realality, since OMC no longer exists the only place to get parts and service on those drives is through Volvo. And the drives are know as SX or DP-S style drives.<br />Since in 95 you probably have an HU model engine and drive. So, to answer your question again. You have a Volvo lower, and a Volvo upper. Only an OMC Cobra name.