HOLE IN BOW HULL - Help Please!!

jmznshana

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I just bought the boat a month ago. When I bought the boat I was aware of a small chip in the gel coat about the size of a dime or smaller. I took the chance it was not through the glass and was just the coat. I made a quick patch with fresh gel coat (not worring about matching color) was going to redo after the summer. I just wanted to get it in the water.

Well the repair chipped off while out and a bit more than original as well... This time I could see what appeared to be a hairline seperation o the glass... So today I got to grinding and found that there was about a 2 inch crack in the layering of the glass... More like the layers were seperated and were flaking apart at the crack... I kept at it to get everything that was loose off and found myself with a 2 inch or so hole in the hull....

hull 4.jpghull 3.jpghull 5.jpg

My question is can this be patched from the outside? I cannot see how to get to it from inside without cutting out a major area of the bow from inside under seat.

If can be done from outside have I pulled back enough of the gel coat? What would be the best way of doing this repair step by step.....

Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: HOLE IN BOW HULL - Help Please!!

Is the actual Hole 2" in diameter?

tpenfield

Staff member

See what you can do to get some sort of access to the inside of the hull. Hopefully you can just remove a few things and not cut anything.

Patching just from the outside would not be good. You really want a mechanical bond on both sides of the hull.

rickryder

Commander

Looking at the 3rd pic Wood It sure looks like about the size of a golf ball.

jmznshana

Seaman Apprentice

Here are a few pics to answer the questions...

size is just smaller than my trusty Pro V1 :)
hull 8.jpghull 7.jpg

As far as getting to it through the inside.. The under seat cooler would have to be cut out or at least a part of it.. Then how would that b repaired?
hull 9.jpg

Also.. From the pics can you guys tell if I should cut more of the glass out? How can I tell integrity wise when I have gotten all that is bad. Most of what I removed was seperated between the layers.

jmznshana

Seaman Apprentice

One last thing I forgot about getting to it from inside... I can see through the hole there is a plywood sheet between the cavity and the bottom of the bow cooler. Making it even more difficult to access even if the cooler is cut out..

tpenfield

Staff member

Since the hole is about the size of a Titleist golf ball, you may be able to insert a couple layers of wetted CSM into the hole and smooth it to the inside of the hull using your finger. Then you can build up the exterior of the hole, etc. You would just need to make an "X" cut in the center of the pieces that you insert into the hull opening.

The end result will be that the repair will have fiberglass/resin adhesion on both side of the hull.

That's how I would do it, if inside access is impractical.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

may be something to pm oops about just to see what his thoughts are on it as well

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I canct remember where I saw it, but a repair was made from the outside on an oval shaped hole by first making a flat piece of fiberglass just bigger than the hole. Make it by building up severalayers on a sheet of plastic, then pop it off and shape it. That hole was oval. Since yours is round, maybe groove opposite sides of the hole so you can slide the piece in. before sliding it in, drill a smaall hel in it, put a string through it and knot the string on the back side. Once its hanging inside, resin (maybe structural peanut butter) around the inside of the hole and u7e the string to pull it tight until it cures. You now have something inside to build against.

Goo luck.

Sea ya...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep this can be done from the outside. As CK says. First use some pieces of 60 grit and with your fingers sand the inside around the hole as far in as you can reach and then acetone wash it down. As CK says then fabricate a patch from 3-4 layers of CSM about 2" larger than the hole on some plastic or wax paper and let it cure. Drill a 1/8" hole in the middle of the patch and insert some wire or string in the hole and tie some knots on the back side. Fold the patch enuf to be able to stuff it in the hole. Mix up some Thickened resin with cabosil and smear it on the inside of the hole. Use the string to pull the patch up centered on the hole and mash out the thickened resin. Smooth the resin in the hole and secure the string with a block of wood and tape till dry. Now you have a backer. The rest is your basic FG repair.

jmznshana

Seaman Apprentice

Yep this can be done from the outside. As CK says. First use some pieces of 60 grit and with your fingers sand the inside around the hole as far in as you can reach and then acetone wash it down. As CK says then fabricate a patch from 3-4 layers of CSM about 2" larger than the hole on some plastic or wax paper and let it cure. Drill a 1/8" hole in the middle of the patch and insert some wire or string in the hole and tie some knots on the back side. Fold the patch enuf to be able to stuff it in the hole. Mix up some Thickened resin with cabosil and smear it on the inside of the hole. Use the string to pull the patch up centered on the hole and mash out the thickened resin. Smooth the resin in the hole and secure the string with a block of wood and tape till dry. Now you have a backer. The rest is your basic FG repair.

What do I use to adhere the layers to keep them flexible enough to install into the hole and shape? If the patch will be hard enough to drill it will I be able to get it through the hole? (am I missing something?)

Anyone see any additional grind back of the gelcoat I have already done or have I taken back enough to do the outer patch?
Also does the glass around the hole look good as far as color and strength from what you can see or should I grind out any more? What should I look for as far as making sure I have gotten all the bad glass out?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The patch will still be flexible enough to bend and get into the hole. It will be like stiff plastic. From what I can see you should use 60 grit and feat the the gel and glass back about 2 " more. The new glass will only stick to the reddish colored glass. the glass looks good. Once it's feathered your patch will consist of 2 layers of 1.5 oz CSM, a layer of 1708 biax, another layer of CSM another layer of 1708 two more layers of CSM. Each layer a little larger than the prevous. You then mix up some gelcoat paste to level it all out. Sand and buff. Done!!

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

By the way, having read your other thread where you are concerned about possible water under the floor, I would suggest using this hole to investigate whatever you can see. Maybe get a lit light in there and take some pictures.

Sea ya...

jmznshana

Seaman Apprentice

The patch will still be flexible enough to bend and get into the hole. It will be like stiff plastic. From what I can see you should use 60 grit and feat the the gel and glass back about 2 " more. The new glass will only stick to the reddish colored glass. the glass looks good. Once it's feathered your patch will consist of 2 layers of 1.5 oz CSM, a layer of 1708 biax, another layer of CSM another layer of 1708 two more layers of CSM. Each layer a little larger than the prevous. You then mix up some gelcoat paste to level it all out. Sand and buff. Done!!

Thanks for reponse... To make sure I'm understanding correctly... For the patch.
1. A few layers of csm hit with resin and allowed to dry? Or not quite?
2. Then make purchase hole
3. Apply resin to prepped interior of hole.
4. Insert patch and pull taught to interior hole.
5. Allow to dry then begin outer patch...

On the outer patch are all those layers assembled, resined and applied at same time? Meaning none allowed to dry before next layer. Smaller to larger from inside out?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You got it. Smallest to largest. You can use a piece of plastic, lay em all out on it and wet em all out at once and place the patch at one time. Once it dries you can rip the plastic off. Use a bondo spreader to smooth it all out and get the air bubbles out. go lightly and don't starve the cloth of resin.

jmznshana

Seaman Apprentice

As much as I want to do this repair I am also contemplating just having it done due to my lack of time to do it... If I go the having done route any ideas what a repair like this should typically run me? I am in central Fl.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I dunno in Florida but I'm guessin $200-$400 bucks maybe more cuz they will try to match the gelcoat perfect and sand and buff too. 4 hours @ $80 to $100 bucks and hour. Just my guess

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Ahhh! go for it do it your self! I was one told if you want it done and done right do it yourself and if it isn't you only have yourself to blame! Besides you got the some of the most experienced folks to help when you need it.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

1400-2000 bucks .. depending on how to get from the INSIDE !! .. could be up to 2500 or more ..

Yea.. I see why your confused about putting in a square peg in a round hole lol..

You really should do this repair on the Inside and out ( not sanding but lamming to make a chemical rivet ).

Strakes suck..its gonna be 4 days in the shop for full cures and gel spraying and forming of that strake back.

You really need something on the Inside on a bowstrake repair man.. I wouldnt have it any other way.

Thats the size of a Large through hull fitting..and you dont want that to fail when your Out there IMHO ..

Its not that your repair is big.. its just not big enough to do the inside out from the outside only thingy .. again IMO..

YD.