1982 Rinker-NEED HELP PLEASE

dsp

Recruit
I have a 1982 Rinker 15.5' Tri-hull with an extremely stiff steering cable. The cable doesn't appear to have any cuts or breaks in it and there is no corrosion on the ends, but with everything disconnected it is still extremely stiff will not move freely by hand. I figure the cable needs to be replaced, but I know next to nothing about teleflex style systems, especially older ones. I am putting some pictures below of the cable I removed from the boat. My question is, does anyone know who may have made this style of cable and does anyone make just a replacement cable? I really can't afford to replace the whole steering system right now. The only number I could find anywhere on the cable or anything else was DM D8 BCT(may have been DCT but looks more like a B)It was stamped into the cable sheath. Please let me know if you guys need any more information. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Dan

IMG_0228.jpgIMG_0229.jpgIMG_0230.jpgIMG_0232.jpgIMG_0233.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 Rinker-NEED HELP PLEASE

You MIGHT, and I emphasize MIGHT be able to free her up by using some transmission fluid thinned 25% with mineral spirits make a funnel with plastic and tape and hang the cable from the rafters in the garage and attempt to pour the oil into the sheath of the cable an allow it to flow into the housing at the wheel. Let it set for a couple of days and check the funnel and keep it full. If you're lucky it will flow into the sheathing and free it all up. If not then a replacement is needed. Again no guarantees, just old time remedy for stuck cables that sometimes works.

dsp

Recruit

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to try that. It's not like I have anything to lose, besides money on a new steering system.

dsp

Recruit

Do you have any advice as to which of the cables listed on the page would work? None have the same geared end as mine. Are you supposed to remove the cable from the geared slider? It appears to be sandwiched into place with rivets.
Thanks