carb spitting fuel from idle hole orifice 1985 evinrude 50hp

adamh1281

Seaman Apprentice
E50BELCOB top carb spitting fuel after carb rebuild/cleaning. my top carburetor is spitting a tiny constant stream of fuel. I haven't had the motor for very long, and replaced the main carb gaskets and cleaned the carbs with carb cleaner and jets with a violin string. this carb does not adjust idle in this orifice, it is just a plug with a hole. I don't know if it just started doing this b/c I just started running it and watching it run with the silencer off. When I got the motor, I converted to premix by adding the fuel pump to the side of the crank case everything else seems to be working fine, looks pretty good too. Maybe too much fuel pressure? I checked the floats by adjusting them as stated here, and then blowing into the fuel inlet and turning them upside down, and the needle valves seem to be fine. I have searched around here but haven't seen anyone else with this problem. and help/ links would be appreciated. Thanks.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: carb spitting fuel from idle hole orifice 1985 evinrude 50hp

How does the mtr run with the silencer cover on over all ??

adamh1281

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the reply. It runs fine. I think it is spitting from the bottom carb idle orifice too. I ran it again yesterday, and I can't see it spitting as I add throttle. I haven't had it in the water yet since rebuild yet.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Give us some feed back after you run it in the water.

adamh1281

Seaman Apprentice

ok, took it out on monday. It runs fine. top speed dropped a few mph though since I last used it. I was getting 27mph now 24mph. cranks and idles fine.

mercu1

Recruit

ok, took it out on monday. It runs fine. top speed dropped a few mph though since I last used it. I was getting 27mph now 24mph. cranks and idles fine.

My 1984 40hp does the same thing. I am begining to think this is normal. What do you think?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

This thread is over 7 months old. Read the rules at the top of the forum and please start a new one.