'94 Force 50 running issue

hartofdixie

Cadet
I have a 1994 Force 50 that is having issues staying running going into gear. Here is the scenario: I can get it to start fine and idle perfectly on the muffs at home, however, I get it on the water, prime the bulb to full pressure, and I have to use the fast idle lever and choke to get it started. Once it starts with the fast idle lever it takes a few tries to get it to idle fine with the lever down. As I put it in forward gear, the motor dies. If I drop down the fast idle lever and put it in gear to wot quickly it will start slowly and within a minute it will get to plane at full speed and runs perfectly. I had adjusted the idle speed earlier and accidentally messed with the air/mix screw on the carb, however i did read other posts and turned it all the way in and then out 1 and 1/8 turn, replaced the bulb and fuel filter and some gas line and a fresh 1/4 tank of gas, an am lost as to what to do next. I haven't filled the fuel tank all they way and am thinking it may be best to just take it in at this point, if anyone has any ideas I could try please let me know, I am open to anything and everything. Thanks!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: '94 Force 50 running issue

Start with a compression/spark test.
Tachometer?RPM's in gear in the water 750-800, 1150-1200 in the driveway.
Post the results.J

hartofdixie

Cadet

Thanks Jerry, I am going to go over to a buddy's house this week and try those two things, I did notice yesterday looking through other pictures on this site that it shows the fuel filter placed in front of the main inlet for the motor, placed between the gas tank and inlet, however the fuel filter I have is between the motor outlet and carb inlet; could this cause any issues?, I am thinking about switching and getting a new fuel filter, and the replacing the fuel line, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it until after I check the comp/rpm?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The filter can be anywhere.
I prefer a small particle filter between the carb and the fuel pump.
Some put in a fuel/water seperator.This is good for water but not for small stuff.
Most filters if they get water in them will rust and the fuel pump will pass them right to the carb.
Wally world G12 or G2 depending on hose size.J

hartofdixie

Cadet

OK, I had the motor checked out by a mechanic and the compression is 110 in top cylinder and 30 in the lower cylinder, the mechanic suggested that it would not be worth it to repair the motor, can anyone advise if this information is accurate, I do not have any reason to doubt him he is a great mechanic I am wondering if anyone else has any ideas or is it just best to put it out to pasture?