BoatPort. Yes or No? Your Thoughts?

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I inherited a Hewitt BoatPort when I bought my 1988 Wellcraft Aruba 232. It is attached to the slip, but it is my property according to the terms of the sale and the marina.

Last evening, a nice fellow boat owner came over to introduce himself and give me advice on positioning the boat to get the outdrive totally out of the water. After thanking him for it, he told me that he wouldn't have a BoatPort. He is a retired marine mechanic, and pointed out all of the boats on our dock that aren't on lifts. He owns 3 boats on this dock.

I do envy the boats that can back in. I would like to be able to store mine like this in the slip. It's much easier to board and such. He told me that he would sell the damn thing. (his words)

So, it got me thinking. I am on the Tennessee River/Guntersville Lake system in NE Alabama. I actually wouldn't mind having the hull painted next year, but it still looks pretty darn good from living on a lift.

I have no idea on the value of the system, and I don't want to remove it. So, if it sold, I would sell it with the caveat that the buyer would have to remove it. The seller told me it cost $5500 to install it, but my new friend told me that it would cost $15000 to install one like this now.

I don't want to ever gouge anyone, so what are your thoughts?

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: BoatPort. Yes or No? Your Thoughts?

... a nice fellow boat owner came over to introduce himself and give me advice on positioning the boat to get the outdrive totally out of the water. After thanking him for it, he told me that he wouldn't have a BoatPort. ... He told me that he would sell the damn thing. (his words) ...but it still looks pretty darn good from living on a lift... I don't want to remove it.... So, if it sold,...so what are your thoughts?

So why is it that you want to get rid of the item that has been working for so long and the boat still looks "Pretty Darn Good?"
I don't suppose that he suggest that he would be willing to help you out by taking it off your hands cheap?
He also seems to be quite knowledgeable in adjusting an item that he "Wouldn't Have!"

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny. I met a nice family today, and the father admired my lift. He told me that he would love to have one and that his Sea Ray seems slower after painting. Maybe it's worth more to me that I think...

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I'd much rather have a lift than not and yes all bottom paint slows you down.

So YES!

nlain

Commander

I live on the water, have a trailer boat, I also have my own boat ramp, I just bought a floating boatlift for my boat. I think I will use the boat more if it is sitting on the lift than the hassle of putting it in and taking it out of the water. If I was in your situation, I would keep the lift, I like the lift idea better than leaving it in the water. Just my thoughts.