Driveshaft removal Etec 115

miket

Seaman
Hit a rock and destroyed gearcase. Received new OEM gearcase without
driveshaft in place. Assume I am to transfer old driveshaft to new. Removed
retaining plate but am unable to extract shaft. Are there other procedures?
Any help appreciated
Mike

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Driveshaft removal Etec 115

Assume I am to transfer old driveshaft to new.
Yep.....
Are there other procedures?
Poor mans puller, wrap end of shaft with rags and put in a vice,put 4X4 on old housing and pop it with a sledgehammer(4X4) about 2-3 licks the clip will pop loose..

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

do you have old one? The year makes a differance, or post a picture. I did this last year, and remember there was something that was a little tricky. its not hard though and you don't have to take new unit apart, I just cant remember,sorry a picture would help

miket

Seaman

do you have old one? The year makes a differance, or post a picture. I did this last year, and remember there was something that was a little tricky. its not hard though and you don't have to take new unit apart, I just cant remember,sorry a picture would help[/QUOTE

I was able to remove lower drive shaft from damaged gearcase by unscrewing the shaft. I punched the drive pin holding the upper driveshaft in the lower driveshaft releasing the upper drive shaft. Not sure how I did this as I cannot seem to do the same procedure on the new gearcase. I must remove lower drive shaft to install the use upper drive shaft. In addition, the seat for the lower drive shaft in the old gearcase contains roller pins that are not held in place and a couple fell out. I am afraid losing these pins in the new dsgearcase when I remove the lower drive shaft. Any ideas or procedures appreciated

Pictures attahed

Attachments

• 174.jpg
    174.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 3
  • 173.jpg
    173.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 3

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I must remove lower drive shaft to install the use upper drive shaft
Not on a two piece shaft ,all you need is the upper shaft and you need not take the replacement case apart. The old shaft just slides into the new case and will snap in place. You do not need the pin as it holds the clip in place, the OEM tool just clamps around the shaft and you tighten to bolts and "jack "the shaft out.

miket

Seaman

The light dawns on Marblehead. I get it all I had to do was slip in drive shaft
into hole and whack a few times with 2x4 and it locked in. Thanks for the help.