Space Travel Tourist

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Roscoe posted this .

http://www.virgingalactic.com/overview/spaceships/

Well, I have a bit of interest in this topic, to the point I have been wondering about going to Russia and taking the Mig 29 flight to the edge of the atmosphere, but I am unsure if it is going to really be a big deal.
I have been meaning to ask Triton II just how far he has been up, and if the Mig29 trip at $25k is worth it.

Does anyone know how far up the virgingalactic goes, and how long the flight lasts?

Pity the Americans don't have a similar tourist attraction like the Ruskies.

My mate Niel is 8 yrs my senior and reckons I should do the Trans Siberian Express right thru, but wife and I are not sure how we would go sitting next to each other for that long. At least I know she won't come on a space trip with me.

Cheers
Phillip

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Space Travel Tourist

$25,000....you people have too much money. Give me $5000 and I'll paint stars on your ceiling and make a machine that sucks all of the air out of your bedroom, lol. Seriously though, I guess if you have the cash to throw around, you only live once.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I guess I take the opposite view of it. I work hard and save my pennies specifically so I can do the things I enjoy. I get no thrill from collecting dollars in the bank other than the knowledge it's so I can take it out and enjoy myself.

What's the old saying? Are you living to work or working to live?

How do you plan to live in retirement, Bubba? I won't comment on political issues, but you are going to need a LOT of money or live in poverty that is beyond your imagination.

ngt

I guess I take the opposite view of it. I work hard and save my pennies specifically so I can do the things I enjoy. I get no thrill from collecting dollars in the bank other than the knowledge it's so I can take it out and enjoy myself.

What's the old saying? Are you living to work or working to live?

I work to support my family and find cheaper ways to enjoy life during my 11 week vacation. $2000 boat, $350 Kayak, $4000 car, golf every other week, maybe, and a smaller house with a nice sized yard. If I had $25,000 in the bank, I don't think I would spend it on one day. We only spent $9000 on our wedding and that killed me, lol. I watch friends get $30,000 budgets from their parents and it kills me. I guess those are the type of "more well off" people that can toss around $25,000. If I had to choose though, I'd rather spend it on going into space than a big wedding, lol.

ngt

It may come as a surprise but the majority of people that are "well off" got there on their own.

Just sayin...

Not a surprise at all and that's all ok with me. I have plenty of friends that have way more money than I do. I graduated from college with honors, have a post BA degree, and have held down my job for 8 years. I chose my path and knew it wasn't going to get me the big bucks. It was more about free time and job security. I chose for my wife to not work so she could stay home and raise our kids. There's nothing wrong with being "well off" and having money to throw around. I have never liked spending a lot of money on an "experience". I don't like going out and blowing a couple of hundred on an evening either. It's just the way I am. I'd rather buy something for that amount that I could enjoy time and time again.

Maybe if you had $25,000 saved up, instead of spending it on a one day trip, you could buy your own hot air balloon :p

ngt

Naw, I'd have to learn to fly it. ;)

Let me ask, how would you feel about setting down to a poker game with a $1000 buy in? I myself love it even though I could get up from the table with nada. To me the "experiance" is what counts. I guess they are right, it takes all kinds to make the world go round. ;)

True! I'd never sit down at that table, lol. Even if I had $25,000 sitting in my hand that was given to me for free that day, I wouldn't sit down at that table. There are too many better things I could do with that $1000 buy in that would outlast that moment. I don't even like betting $20 on a basketball game with a friend. Don't get me wrong, I'll spend $20 to go play golf, bait and gas for a day of fishing, or a happy hour with friends after work, but I mostly like spending money on things I can use the next day. I don't even like spending $75-$100 on groceries because I know it will be gone in a week, lol.

ngt

Ah, but good memories last a life time!

true. If that's the case, I'd rather have dozens of good memories fishing off a couple of $500 kayaks with my wife, than one cool memory of gambling with high stakes. I guess if you won, you could do both though, but not a risk I'd take.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The VirginAtlantic flights start at $200,000 and up. $20,000 deposit to make a reservation.

The mothership carries you to 50,000', then launches you to 2500mph into the microgravity zone.

Doesn't say how long it would last.