help with 15 hp ted williams

steelheader77

Recruit
Hi everyone new to this forum and need some help . I have 15 hp ted williams havent used it since last summer it ran fine . Went to fire it up yesterday and no go seems that I have lost spark on both coils what is the most common cause of this . Also need to know how to get the flywheel off dosent seem to have any threaded holes on top for a puller . I am a decent mechanic but dont realy work on boat motors . Any help is greatly appreciated thanks . :)

M

mrcrabs

Re: help with 15 hp ted williams

Welcome steelheader,
The Tecumseh BV1500 engine is what you have, over time just like anything other ignition system parts fail, generally we see the top cylinders ignition module fail due to exsive heat. This failure is most likley the CI capacitor, other heat related failures will include the SCR and trigger. There has been much intensive do it yourself research done and some repaired by myself and several others for our own need's but I highly recommend a new stator, best price I know of is here http://www.boatfix.com/shop5/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=36378
If you interested in looking into a do it yourself repair www.enginesandmagnets.com and it would be best to joine the Eska yahoo group to get some personal help and support for the job, you will find the link in my signiture. I warn you not all can be repaired and this persuit can be a frustrating delima.

Good luck,
mrcrabs

M

mrcrabs

You will need to tap the holes and pull that flywheel, using the knockoff method is not good with the BV1500 do to the fact a circul clip holds the lower bearing and has been know to shear in half and you sure don't want that to happen :)

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yahoo Groups are so complicated? Can't one even read the posts without subscribing? I tried to subscribe this morning but it seems to just run me around in circles asking for e-mail addresses, Google ID's and other stuff.

Any suggestions? I'd like to join the group if I knew how

M

mrcrabs

Can't one even read the posts without subscribing?
got to keep out the scally wags
there are 300+ that didn't have trouble, all you need is a yahoo account???

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with SeaKaye12: That Eska site is miserable to navigate.

M

mrcrabs

Ah that ok,its mostly for the intellectual Eska outboard mech anyway :)

M

mrcrabs

Yahoo Groups are so complicated? Can't one even read the posts without subscribing? I tried to subscribe this morning but it seems to just run me around in circles asking for e-mail addresses, Google ID's and other stuff.

Any suggestions? I'd like to join the group if I knew how

I agree with SeaKaye12: That Eska site is miserable to navigate.

See here you and Jim j wheezer are are to much like my mother in law :eek:

EDIT: and you spill out worthless wrong information