first time boater here. need help identifying my 25hp johnson outboard.

imnotniko

Cadet
whatsup everyone. i just purchased my first boat with a 2 stroke 25 hp Johnson outboard on a 81 14' cruiser. i need some help identifying the year and if you guys could give me some tune up tips that would be great! i took it out yesterday and it started first pull. when letting off the throttle coming to a stop the boat would stall.. then take a minute or two before it would start again. it also seemed like it might of been lacking a little power. there were 3 people in the boat and we didn't go 100% full throttle being i want to tune it up. thanks for the help. heres some pictures to help you guys with my questions.

IMG_3444.jpg

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3448.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3449.jpg

nwcove

Admiral
Re: first time boater here. need help identifying my 25hp johnson outboard.

if the transom clamp is original. its a 1985

imnotniko

Cadet

ok thanks i just got back from the auto parts store with new spark plugs and carb cleaner. what do i gap the spark plugs to? the old ones were almost at .046 and they looked pretty shot kinda browning.

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I beleive it's .030. What kind and part no plugs did you get?

Not to sound like a smart *****, but your best buy would be a service manual. It will give you all the information you can ask for. Also read the "TopSecret Files".

imnotniko

Cadet

I beleive it's .030. What kind and part no plugs did you get?

Not to sound like a smart *****, but your best buy would be a service manual. It will give you all the information you can ask for. Also read the "TopSecret Files".

thanks i will look into it. i'm a complete noob to boats so any advice is taken.