efi maint

hipster dufus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my old rig w/ my 9.8 tohatsu was picked up today. hated to see her go. on the upside i ordered my 1648 mv weldbilt with a 30 hp tohatsu efi. i have a 6-8 week wait and will be boatless for the first time in 15 yrs. so i will be asking a lot of questions. what are the maintenance priorities on the efi engines? what do i have to watch? what accessories do i need? any other issues i havenot thought of are welcome. thanks and i hope my wait goes fast.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: efi maint

1) See the manual, but, gear oil and plugs once a year.
2) Nothing
3) None

pvanv

Admiral
Re: efi maint

Elvin's right. The MFS30B is pretty low maintenance. Change oil, filter, and LU lube at 10 hours of break-in... then every year or 50 hours (whichever is sooner). Good plugs are a must. As with all 4-strokes, run 10w-30 FC-W non-synthetic oil, and start with the oil level about 1/2 way on the dipstick. After a solid break-in, you can increase the oil level to say 3/4 or a little more, but never even a drop above the full mark. If you store for a month or more, drain the vapor separator to get the old fuel and any crud out of the settling bowl.

If you like, you can get a tach, to help you dial in the best prop.