my boat is leaning

tocostew

Cadet
I was just wondering what would cause my boat to lean to one side just a little while I am driving straight. It feels like a truck would if the tires were out of alignment. What would cause this and how do I fix it?

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: my boat is leaning

Weight imbalance, either people or gear. Torque steer from the rotation of the prop. Improperly positioned trim anode. Waterlogged foam in the hull. Cross wind. Uneven trim tabs. Parasitic drag from marine growth or equipment on the hull. Drunken boat.

Triphammer

Seaman

Heh Heh Heh, "Drunken Boat" Now that's funny, I don't care WHO ya are.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

LOL. What is it? Srcap metal molded together?:) Or an aluminum boat stored outside in the winter and warped from the weight of the ice and snow? Elaborating about your boat would help :)or are you and the gas tank on the same side?.

tocostew

Cadet

IMAG0128.jpg

I dont feel the hull is waterlogged nor a drunken boat. It is not molded scrap metal nor has it been left out in the winter in ice and snow. it is a 2001 Aquatron. I feel like it is something around the motor, trim tab etc. I need a little more help here.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry. You did not tell us too much in your first post. That's why the sarcasm. We thought you were referring to a old aluminum fishing boat. Do you have any pictures of the back end and the lower unit?

bgc

Ensign

I have a lean in mine, caused by my fat ***** at the helm......

Do you have ballast tanks in her?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

If it's just happening while your driving, I would say it would be the rotation of the prop causing it.

Which way does your prop rotate while going forward? Which way does the boat lean?

ken226

Cadet

My 20 ft Chaparral lists to starboard if i'm at the helm. Just stand in the center between the consoles while underway and she'll run strait :) Maybe get a girlfriend who weighs the same as you to sit on the passenger side.

bgc

Ensign

What about the anode trim tab adjustment?
This would cause it to always "pull" to one side as if it were out of alignment.

tocostew

Cadet

thnaks for the infor guys I will take pictures of the back "riptorn"
what is a ballast tank "bgc"
I will look at the prop when going forward and put it in the water to see which way it leans "rogersjetboat454"
where is the anode trim tab located "bgc" is this it?
IMAG0201.jpg
IMAG0131.jpg

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thnaks for the infor guys I will take pictures of the back "riptorn"
what is a ballast tank "bgc"
I will look at the prop when going forward and put it in the water to see which way it leans "rogersjetboat454"
where is the anode trim tab located "bgc" is this it?
View attachment 154771
View attachment 154772

Ballast tank is a tank contained in the boat which you can allow water into or pump water out of; mainly found on wakeboarding boats and used to add ballast (weight) to alter the wake. You may or may not have them on that boat... The tower implies possibly, your not knowing what one is implies no.

The anode on the drive is above the prop on the underside of the anti ventilation plate. It is the silver circle you can see in your second picture. Yours is just the flat circle, and not a "fin" because your boat most likely is equiped with power steering. On manual steering boats, the tab/fin can be rotated to counter prop torquesteer.

bgc

Ensign

If you have ballast tanks for adding weight to the boat, could one still have water in it?

You have a flat anode on the lower out drive. If it "feels" like its out of alignment you can replace it with the tab model of appropriate size. This "fin" is adjusted to correct the alignment issue.

How long have you been boating and how long have you owned this boat?

tocostew

Cadet

actually on mine I have a fin on the anode, I do not have power steering. I looked at mine and it is facing to the right all the way. so I guess I start there by turning back.

tocostew

Cadet

ive been boating for about 10 years, but have only owed this boat for about a year.