1987 Evinrude 150 flywheel will not come off

larryhe

Recruit
Hey Guys,
I am trying to remove the flywheel on 1987 Evinrude 150. I have the nut removed. I started out with grade 5 bolts and stretched one into. Grade 5 is all I could get at 7 PM. I got grade 8 bolts the next day and pulled one of them into. Got anothe set of grade 8 bolts. The puller has been on the motor now for several hours with all the force my air gun will apply (whis is enough to pull a grade 8 bolt apart) and it will not come loose. I tried pinging the puller bolt and prying one side and then the other, pry on two oppisite side at same time.

Any ideas?

Thanks Larry

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1987 Evinrude 150 flywheel will not come off

If you are breaking grade 8 bolts, you are pulling hard enough. Use heat around the crankshaft (lightly) and maybe a stronger rap (or 2)with a bigger mallet. Penetrating oil will help to. Be prepared. When it lets go it'll scare the Be-gesus outta ya!

What I've done is (with plenty of pressure applied by the puller - sounds like you're already there) is to place a 2x4 on the underside of the flywheel and give it a firm tap with a large hammer/mallet. Rotate 1/3 turn and tap again. Rotate another 1/3 turn and tap again..... It's always worked. You just don't want to get too carried away with how much force you hit it with, flywheel magnets can break.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Watch out with putting heat on a flywheel, as it can screw up the magnets.

larryhe

Recruit

Success. Pulled the boat out in the sun for about an hour hoping it would heat the flywheel more than the crank. Put a thin piece of plywood on top of the regulator and used a prybar over one of the regulator bolts. While prying I hit the puller bolt and she came off.

Found two magnets that were loose. Don't know if they were already loose or the pulling process made them come loose.

Now for the reason I wanted to remove the flywheel. The motor would loose spark intermittenly on one side (all three plugs) above about 1/4 throtle. I left the throtle just where it was not firing and could move the timer base back a bit and spark would return. Move it forward and loose spark again. The problem has been progressive. When it first started it was every once in a while and you could move the throtle back and forth and get spark back or just leave it at 1/4 and spark would come back. Now it happens every time you take the boat out. I will be going full throtle and the boat looses power and it may be several minutes before I can get it going again. Is there anything that would cause this besides the timer base being bad?

Thanks for the help.

The shift assist interrupter switch (if your engine has one) kills one bank of cylinders momentarily as you shift out of gear, sometimes those can mess you up. But in your case, with the detective work you've already done, it sounds like the timer base (or simply a bad connection between the timer base and power pack on one side).

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree + 1.