Engine corrosion removal and prevention

fisherman73

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, what I thought was a case of burned exhaust valves is excalating as I've found to be a common senario with anything involving boat repair. Exhaust manifold gasket surface between riser and manifolds failed,(as Don so appropriatly pointed out, thanks Don). The trickle of cold salt water sitting on top of a hot exhaust valve was quite distructive. After removing the heads I decided to pull the starter just to clean it up a bit. Of course, I was unable to get the terminals to come loose on the solenoid, so a new starter is on its way. After the starter was out I noticed a quarter sized spot of rust on the pan, which promtly began streaming oil out when I picked at it a little. So a new pan is on its way as well. So long story longer... When I have this engine out and am doing my best to remove rust and repaint everything what steps should I be using to ensure maximum protection ? This engine was completely overhauled about 200 hrs ago and has very little of the original black paint on it. It looks like it was rattle canned then but that paint didnt stick very well and after a few years it looks like I drug the thing out of the bottom of the ocean!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Engine corrosion removal and prevention

Well, what I thought was a case of burned exhaust valves is excalating as I've found to be a common senario with anything involving boat repair. Exhaust manifold gasket surface between riser and manifolds failed,(as Don so appropriatly pointed out, thanks Don). The trickle of cold salt water sitting on top of a hot exhaust valve was quite distructive. After removing the heads I decided to pull the starter just to clean it up a bit. Of course, I was unable to get the terminals to come loose on the solenoid, so a new starter is on its way. After the starter was out I noticed a quarter sized spot of rust on the pan, which promtly began streaming oil out when I picked at it a little. So a new pan is on its way as well. So long story longer... When I have this engine out and am doing my best to remove rust and repaint everything what steps should I be using to ensure maximum protection ? This engine was completely overhauled about 200 hrs ago and has very little of the original black paint on it. It looks like it was rattle canned then but that paint didnt stick very well and after a few years it looks like I drug the thing out of the bottom of the ocean!

Ayuh,.... 'bout All you can do is clean it up, sand what ya can, 'n repaint it,...

Rustoleum is pretty hard to beat in those conditions....

For added insurance,... After the paint dries, 'n the motor is back in it's home,...
A liberal sprayin' of Fluid Film,... 'bout once or twice a year, will keep the paint stuck to the metal...

Ya might try it on the stuff yer cleanin' up, just to get an idea of what this stuff does to/ for Rust.... ;)

MotorheadTed

Seaman
Re: Engine corrosion removal and prevention

When painting anything, first rule is CLEAN THE SURFACE, NO RUST OR GREASE. I have had good sucess in a salt enviroment with the following: after cleaning to bare metal and degreasing ( acetone or laquer thinner) apply "OSPHO ", FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. LET SET O'NITE. prime witha "cold galvanize" ( heavy zinc content, Rustolem has it) then top coat with engine paint or appliance epoxy of your choice. The epoxy works great on manifolds and risers!