1977 galaxy 19.5 ft bowrider w/ 175hp ford 302 omc stringer outdrive having tilt issu

ok i bought a 1977 galaxy 19.5 ft bowrider very nice boat ford 302 175hp omc stringer outdrive everything worked great when i went to look at it and the next day when i put it on the water everything stayed great until i put it on the trailer to come back home and could not raise the foot up the tilt motor sounds like it is spinning free making no contact to the worm gear almost like a starter on a car when the bendix gear doesnt come out and make contact with fly wheel i pulled the worm gear cover off to manually pick the foot up to get it home i did drain the clutch cover and inspect worm gear and clutch they look good not worn looking but had water in the clutch cover instead of oil dont think that is my issue though since the tilt motor sounds like it is spinning free and making no contact any thoughts?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: 1977 galaxy 19.5 ft bowrider w/ 175hp ford 302 omc stringer outdrive having tilt

there are two roll pins that are like a mechanical fuse in the horizontal shaft that connects the hammer blow coupling to the worm gear.
It's $12 or something for a whole new shaft with the pins.
22040_alt.jpg

try to fish out any broken bits of the roll pins as they will crunch around in there and add load to an already underpowered system

related: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=390581

Re: 1977 galaxy 19.5 ft bowrider w/ 175hp ford 302 omc stringer outdrive having tilt

there are two roll pins that are like a mechanical fuse in the horizontal shaft that connects the hammer blow coupling to the worm gear.
It's $12 or something for a whole new shaft with the pins.
22040_alt.jpg

try to fish out any broken bits of the roll pins as they will crunch around in there and add load to an already underpowered system

related: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=390581

do you know the best place to get these parts im also going to replace clutch cover gasket and o ring as well as the worm gear cap o ring what oil to you recommend for clutch

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer

Dont buy anything until you have had a chance to take out that motor first.

I had exact symptoms you are describing with one of mine, motor was spinning but not grabbing.

It turns out that the 2 spline things on the end of the motor shaft itself broke and they were stuck into the hammer blow coupling.

Edit - and the lesson I learned from that is never hold the tilt switch down, use veery short taps to raise and lower.

changing that tilt motor is not the funnest job.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

do you know the best place to get these parts
a marina near your house usually the fastest
any evinrude dealer has the oem part, or boat place that sell GLM parts has aftermarket- can order it here at iboats
22040 is the GLM part number
im also going to replace clutch cover gasket and o ring as well as the worm gear cap o ring what oil to you recommend for clutch
be aware that gasket is a shim - sometimes OMC put 2 in there to prevent too much drag against the big brass gear so order 2

as for oil, whatever clean oil you have laying around - 80W90 same as intermediate, type C same as lower, 30W engine oil etc....

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

It turns out that the 2 spline things on the end of the motor shaft itself broke and they were stuck into the hammer blow coupling.

I had that happen on a fairly new Sierra motor. :(

but take the motor out before checking the outboard parts? you must like hanging upside down in there more than I :)

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer

I had that happen on a fairly new Sierra motor. :(

but take the motor out before checking the outboard parts? you must like hanging upside down in there more than I :)

I was under the impression that you have to use some type of press to get it apart from the outdrive side. Sounds like I may be wrong.

but yes, if that is an easy way to find out what broke in there, by all means get that done. I just wanted to point out that those motor shafts are known to break as well as the internals, in which case, get ready to remove some akward bolts!

thanks for the help is it easier to remove the transom boot for replacement process or not and this tilt motor is only a year old been on the water 3 times since replaced also do they sell exhaust flaps on here ive got thru hull exhaust on this boat and one of the rubber flaps broke just would like to keep water out of it when sitting on the water not running

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Edit - and the lesson I learned from that is never hold the tilt switch down, use veery short taps to raise and lower.

This little piece of advice is so incredibly important. Once you have it rebuilt, follow this method for raising and lowering the drive you wont have any problems with the tilt system.

southkogs

Staff member

...is it easier to remove the transom boot for replacement process or not...
Depends on the boat. That motor is on the port side at right at the intermediate housing. It can be a real acrobatic act to get back there in some boats. I've gotten to where I can do it pretty easily from inside the boat without removing the boot. Some say take the boot off. It's actually easier to remove my rear seats and engine cover than it is to pull the boot.

I'd try from the inside first.

Thanks for everyones help im going to tackle it next weekend so if i have any more trouble ill get back on here this is the first omc ive ever had always owned johnson outboards and mercruiser inboards so this omc system is all new to me with gear drive everything ive ever had was hydraulic but anyways its a beautiful great running boat and i want to keep it that way and you cant beat the sound of an old v8 boat with thru hull exhaust:) love boating with my family and thanks for all you guys help i can fix it and hit the water again soon thanks everyone.

one more thing this is off subject but does anyone know where i can order a horn for the boat it had the small dual tone but i want a chrome electric trumpet style for it i think it will go with the look of the boat better kinda classic looking so if anyone knows let me know if not i guess ill have to go back to small dual tone

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

one more thing this is off subject but does anyone know where i can order a horn for the boat it had the small dual tone but i want a chrome electric trumpet style for it i think it will go with the look of the boat better kinda classic looking so if anyone knows let me know if not i guess ill have to go back to small dual tone

Try this:

http://www.iboats.com/Electric-Boat-Horns/dm/*******.365100462--session_id.694353731--view_id.368711