Advice upon installing Perko Dual Battery switch

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I read it's a mandatory item to turn off the current to the dual batteries when the boat is not in operation. My questions are 1) Where would be the best place to mount it? 2) Do I keep the engine (ignition, starter, alternator, etc.) on one battery and all accessories (vhf radio, stereo, fish finder, etc.,) on the other battery? 1982 Renken 185 Bow-rider came with one battery located under the rear, starboard-side seat next to the engine. Thank you! Perko  31102 Dual Battery Switch.jpgboat4.jpg

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Advice upon installing Perko Dual Battery switch

I would locate the switch as close to the batteries as I could.
With the exception of the automatic bilge float switch, all of the electrical devices should be connected to the Common lug on the switch. That way everything works regardles of which battery you have selected. Auto bilge switch should be wired directly to one of the batteries. Hope this helps.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Before you buy anything you need to understand WHY exactly you feel you need a dual battery switch, two batteries, and why you feel only one of them should power accessories. The fact is many boats simply don't need two batteries. The usual answer for having two is that if the start battery goes dead I'm dead in the water. No you are not. A simple jump start box will work nicely. If you have a killer stereo system then yes -- you maybe need a dual battery sysetem. Unless you have a high current draw accessory load you just don't need it. Now then, next you need to understand what the switch does for you. I won't explain that again since if you scan this list of topics there is an answer to your identical question. Wiring it any way other than as the switch manufacturer intended (everything goes to the COM terminal, you limit the usefulness of the switch.

NYBo

Admiral

It sees to be the day for battery switch misconceptions, Silvertip.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Doesn't the 'search' function on this site work anymore? I swear it must not....

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Doesn't the 'search' function on this site work anymore? I swear it must not....

Somewhat of a newbie here, but did try the search feature as best I could with very little success. So I created a new thread. I was kind of impatient since I am working my wire back to the engine harness from the instrument panel and securing the wires. I'm not lazy, but short on time. I will try to grasp the proper, more efficient Thanks! manner of using the search feature on a rainy day when I am limited to working on the vessel. Thanks!

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Before you buy anything you need to understand WHY exactly you feel you need a dual battery switch, two batteries, and why you feel only one of them should power accessories. The fact is many boats simply don't need two batteries. The usual answer for having two is that if the start battery goes dead I'm dead in the water. No you are not. A simple jump start box will work nicely. If you have a killer stereo system then yes -- you maybe need a dual battery sysetem. Unless you have a high current draw accessory load you just don't need it. Now then, next you need to understand what the switch does for you. I won't explain that again since if you scan this list of topics there is an answer to your identical question. Wiring it any way other than as the switch manufacturer intended (everything goes to the COM terminal, you limit the usefulness of the switch.

I did invest in a single, portable jump start box... However, I was thinking exactly along the lines of what you posted in regards to "The usual answer for having two is that if the start battery goes dead I'm dead in the water." Thanks for your reply!

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would locate the switch as close to the batteries as I could.
With the exception of the automatic bilge float switch, all of the electrical devices should be connected to the Common lug on the switch. That way everything works regardles of which battery you have selected. Auto bilge switch should be wired directly to one of the batteries. Hope this helps.

Thx for the tip on direct connection to the battery for the auto bilge switch:D I appreciate it!