85 Bayliner Capri

onefifty4x4

Recruit
I have a 85 Bayliner capri with a 85hp. Force wich needs to be re-powered. is this a good boat to re-do?bayliner.jpg I have re built boats before but never a Bayliner. usually they are older boats with a bit more character.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: 85 Bayliner Capri

If you are asking this, I presume you got the boat for free and aren't sure whether to put any time into it. We all would have our own opinions but to me it is in the eye of the beholder meaning you. Maybe post some pictures of the interior so we can guage its condition then comment. I personally like that era of Bayliner but wouldn't spend a second or a dime rehabing one.

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like your fairly close to me. There are plenty of decent outboards around for sale on craigslist for around $500.00.

Why does it need to be re-powered (whats wrong with the force)?

Like Jkust said eye of the beholder.

If your looking for a local guy that is good with outboards go talk to will at nuts and boats he may even have something laying around that he would sell you. Great guy, fair prices.

onefifty4x4

Recruit

Looks like your fairly close to me. There are plenty of decent outboards around for sale on craigslist for around $500.00.

Why does it need to be re-powered (whats wrong with the force)?

Like Jkust said eye of the beholder.

If your looking for a local guy that is good with outboards go talk to will at nuts and boats he may even have something laying around that he would sell you. Great guy, fair prices.

The cylinder walls are scored pretty bad...

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah if your going to do all the work and fix the boat the cheapest option would be to watch craigslist there are alot of outboards for sale in the area. I found that the washington dc and richmond sites have the most listings for motors. If I come across one i'll send you the link or post it here. Good luck on the rebuild.

onefifty4x4

Recruit

Oh yea I saw theat one on there today My boat is ony rated for a 90hp... Id be afraid to go that big.. I really want to stay away from the Force anyway. The few ive been around dont impress me that much.

93bayliner1800

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 93 Bayliner came with a force 120. Most reliable motor I had ever seen! I only changed when I wanted more power and went to a 150. A friend of mine boat my old force and is still cranking every time. If you have built them before ....you know what goes into it. That should determine how much you lime this boat.

93bayliner1800

Petty Officer 1st Class

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I was told force was rated for HP at the flywheel...I know mine seemed very comparable to a 90hp150 mercury.