Adding a tell tale to a '66 20 hp

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Adding a tell tale to a '66 20 hp

Thanks for the tip. What does the restriction do exactly? Does the elbow sold here at iboats in the link I posed have one, or would I need to order the part you posted as well? Thanks.

Haffiman

Commander

The restriction sees to that you mainly keep the pressure and circulation in the engine without loosing too much capacity. If you take a nipple from an engine with restriction nipple in the lower cover, you need the one I posted.

kfa4303

Banned

Thanks again Haffiman. I also noticed that the link I posted on the conversion recommends OMC part #321886 which I've found in the link below and appears to have the restriction you mentioned, but the part sold here on iboats is #331894. Do you think it matters which one I use?

EDIT:

I think I found the correct part on iboats after all. It seems to have the restrictor too. Although, it's listed as a "fuel line indicator elbow", but I don't think that matters.

http://www.iboats.com/Johnson-Evinrude-OMC-321886-replacement-parts/dm/view_id.461453

kfa4303

Banned

Does anyone know the dimensions (thread size and nipple size) of the elbow in the link below for OMC part #321886 to be used in a tell tale conversion?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

All the elbows I have used are a 1/8" pipe thread.

Haffiman

Commander

When you get it, bring it to a hardware store and get the correct tap. I think to remember the 'original' threads are NPTF, but being an aftermarket part you will not know until you get it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

I'm curious as to why you want to add a tell tale to this engine? It will always have plenty of water coming out of the exhaust relief, unless of course the pump fails.

kfa4303

Banned

Oh yeah, it pumps plenty of water as is, but I'm kind of OCD about checking it while on the water. The last thing I want/need is an overheat. Plus, I hate having to crane my neck around, or turn the motor just to get a view of the back of the engine to check. It's actually kind of a poor/dangerous design in that regard. Granted, I can usually tell just from the sound and feel of the motor, but if I installed a tell tale on the right side of the motor, I could just look over my left shoulder while underway and and easily tell if it's still pumping water sufficiently. It would give me a bit more peace of mind and let me monitor everything (carb settings, throttle position and cooling) while looking at the front of the motor. Thankfully, I have and identical donor/parts motor, so if I ruing this t-stat housing I just use the one form the donor.

kfa4303

Banned

UPDATE: Well, I think I found the correct fitting for making a tell-tale on the motor. It's a 1/4" ell with a threaded end and reduced barb end. Just like the one in the link below.

Suggested part (OMC ell #321886) in link below.

http://www.amazon.com/ELBOW-GLM-Par...F8&qid=1342460859&sr=8-1&keywords=OMC+#321886

Part I picked up at Lowes for $1.50. The only difference appears to be that mine is white nylon, rather than black, which should actually match the motor a little better.

Tell-tal ell for '66 20 hp.jpg

I now need to determine the thread count on the ell and tap my t-stat cover accordingly. I do have a few questions, however. The link I'm using for guidance, suggests adding some JB weld, or other material, on the outside of the cover to build up the top of the T-stat cover prior to drilling and tapping it. However, I'm not sure how much to add, or how to get it stick to the housing properly. The part I purchased also has a relatively long threaded portion. How far into the t-stat housing do I need to twist it in when I install it? Also, my t-stat housing cover is slightly different fromt he one in the how-to link, and does not have the little side passage molded into the cover. Mine looks just like a larger version of the one in the link, but without the side passage the large, red arrow is pointing to. Instead, it looks like I would have to tap into the large, circular depression directly above the t-stat itself. Obviously, I don't want to interfere with the function of the t-stat. Do you think it will still be able to open and close properly with the ell threaded in above it and still pump water out the tell tale? I was thinking that threading it until it just comes through the underside of the t-stat housing cover. Also, should I use white thread tape on the fitting, or just leave it raw nylon? Thanks again for any help.

OMC 6hp pee drill-lableled.jpg

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The OEM part has tapered threads and the white one looks like it has strait threads, could still use it but it will not tighten itself up as you put it in, should probably use some sort of sealer on it. As best I can remember I installed the elbow where the red arrow is pointing, I guess you could install it above the thermostat, just be sure none of the elbow extends lower that the cover so it woun't hit the thermostat.

kfa4303

Banned

ah ha. great eye Daviet! I would've never seen that. Should I use automotive t-stat housing sealer and/or white teflon tape? Hopefully, the t-stat will still be able to open/close after the modification. Thankfully, I have a part motor on hand I can scavenge a new cover from, if this all goes horribly wrong :) Here's a better pic of what I'm dealing with. Thanks again.

These are shot using the parts motor t-stat cover. It was handier. The real one is much cleaner.

topside t-stat cover with ell 1.jpgtopside t-stat cover with ell 2.jpgunderside t-stat cover.jpg

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you look at the extra cover, you can see a circle out of the thermostat ring, I would use that cover and drill and tap in that circle. I beleave the gasket has a hole it it that matches the hole. You can use the gasket to center the hole for you to drill and tap. You could use some teflon tape to seal your fitting, just cut off threads so that they don't stick down past the cover itself.

kfa4303

Banned

Cool. Here's a pic of where I was planning on drilling and tapping for the ell. I was gonna use teflon tape and trim off any excess threads so the don't interfere with the normal function of the t-stat below. Thanks.

underside t-stat cover-tap site.jpg

Haffiman

Commander

I have a second thought about this location. As it looks, it will be on the outlet side of the thermostat and may not quite work as intended.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Haffiman is correct, the tell-tale needs to be before the thermostat, other wise you will get little or no water flow until the thermostat opens up.