59' Norris Craft 12' Project Ideas Boat Hell?

sharkeydude

Cadet
I came across this sweet 59' Norris Craft and couldn't resist! It's a small, 12' fiberglass boat with a cool look. I just want to use it to poke around the lake. I'll redo the paint and gel coat, put a pair of off the shelf swivel chairs up front and a camel back bench in the stern. I'll add a top as well. I'd really like to put some carpet in it, however, it would have to go direct onto the fiberglass.
Would I go to Boat Hell if I did this?

Any other ideas would be appreciated! I've already gone through the motor using this forum as a guide and I know you've got an idea or two to share! Boat 029.jpgBoat 032.jpgBoat 033.jpg

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 59' Norris Craft 12' Project Ideas Boat Hell?

Cool little boat sharkey. She looks great on the outside and the interior should clean up nicely. I'm not much of a f'glass guy myself, but it looks like you've got a mid 60's Johnson "Big Twin" motor. Here's a great link for routine maintenance. If you look on the transom clamp there should be a riveted tag with model number on it. Once we have that we can get you a little more info.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm

sharkeydude

Cadet

Thanks for the info! I've replaced the impeller and ordered a thermostat. Whoever had it before me took it out. The motor is a 59' 35hp. I'm going through the topside of the motor soon. Hopefully, I'll have her on the water by July 4th.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I love the boat, anything late 50's early 60's is usually cool. And it should scream with that power plant and the size of the boat. I have a pair of 57's on my old girl, and dream about splashing her soon. Keep putting pictures up as you make progress.

kfa4303

Banned

I believe '58 was the first year of the white, fiberglass cowls. Here's a complete parts list with exploded diagrams of your motor. You can get any routine parts like impellers, tune up, carb and reseal kits right here at iboats for about $20 each. You can usually get these old gems running again for less than $100 assuming the compression is good (+100 psi with both cylinders within 10% of each other).

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/377808/37780800001.htm

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...on 3 HP 1952-1967 Ignition System Tune-up.htm

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...hnson 5.5 HP 1954-1964 Carburetor Tune-UP.htm

sharkeydude

Cadet

I think the coils need to be replaced and a good tune up performed so, this info will come in handy! Marine Engine.com has been an excellent source for parts and the people there know their stuff. I put it in the water today and it ran great. It is still having cooling problems though, so, I got some new water tubes. The old ones were handmade and rugged. They tore the grommets to hell. The impeller has been replaced along with the thermostat. The housing for the impeller had some pitting, but, I'm going to try to live with it until I can pop for the $150. Unless there is some kind of filler to use which I don't think there is. All of the hoses to the carb need replacing as well. But, thanks to eveyone's help on this site, I should have a new motor when I'm finished! Thanks again.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

that is a super cool looking boat

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

First off welcome to iboats!

Cool little runabout you have there. Are you going to stay w/ the same color and scheme of paint?

Ideas? Could steal some drop in carpeted floor panel ideas from the tinny guys, or just go w/ a permanent floor with some floatation underneath. Either would be easier to carpet than the up down you have now. As for the seats you could match your rear camel back in the front w/ a double hump cushioned back made from plywood and some cushioned bases.

Look around here in the dry dock there are millions of ideas to blatantly steal or put a twist on to better suit your needs/space.

sharkeydude

Cadet

First off welcome to iboats!

Cool little runabout you have there. Are you going to stay w/ the same color and scheme of paint?

Ideas? Could steal some drop in carpeted floor panel ideas from the tinny guys, or just go w/ a permanent floor with some floatation underneath. Either would be easier to carpet than the up down you have now. As for the seats you could match your rear camel back in the front w/ a double hump cushioned back made from plywood and some cushioned bases.

Look around here in the dry dock there are millions of ideas to blatantly steal or put a twist on to better suit your needs/space.

Thanks, I have to agree, it is a cool lookin' boat! I do plan to keep the paint scheme. These boats were made on Norris Lake just north of here, (Cherokee Lake, TN). This particular boat has always been on this lake since it was purchased. I'm the second owner. I thought about the permanent floor with floatation and will most likely go that route. It's not a very deep boat and you already feel like you're in a sports car because the seats are so low, lol. I've seen the seats you're talking about and may do that instead of the separate front seats. This thing nearly stands at attention when you throttle it so, a little extra stability might be good.