98 Johnson 115 SPL Spark Plugs

GreatBigTuna

Recruit
Hi,

My (new to me) 115 spl was being a bit grumpy when trying to start so I decided to do a decarb and change the plugs. The old plugs were rusted up on the outside and they were definitely covered in carbon inside. I went to West Marine and got new plugs today without looking to see what the old ones were, so I used the Champion book to determine what I needed, but honestly I wasn't sure what was what because there were 2 entries for 98 115, one that listed as 115 CV4 and the other as 115 LV4. I got the QL78YC which was listed for the LV4. Once I got home and did the decarb, I changed the plugs and the thing fired up like it was brand new (yay!).

Problem is when I looked at the original plugs, they are QL77JC4, which were spec'd for the CV4 listing in the book. Given a 50-50 chance, of course I bought the wrong ones. Anyway, my question is, will running these plugs (which are slightly hotter) cause any problems, or should I go and get the right ones. I'm not being cheap, I'm just amazed at how quickly she's starting now and how smoothly she's running, so if I don't need to fix it, I'd rather just leave it be.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 98 Johnson 115 SPL Spark Plugs

Looks like an 60 degree Looper engine with OIS ignition. QL78YC are in that case the correct plugs.

GreatBigTuna

Recruit
Re: 98 Johnson 115 SPL Spark Plugs

Thanks guys. The model number is J115TSXECM.

If the PO had the wrong plugs in it before, could that be why it was so hard to start?