please help

bwags70

Recruit
hi im new here and i hope someone can please help me. i got a 92 wellcraft excel sl20 with a 4.3 volvo penta engine with a volvo penta 290 sp outdrive. i was doing about 30 mph today when all the sudden i and felt a bang and the boat slowed so i hit the kill switch and noticed i ran over a 10ft by 6 inch round branch floating in the middle of the river...just my luck!!! so i check the prop and its fine i start the motor and it sounds fine put it in drive ...fine.... put it in rev... fine.... so i drive back to the dock and put it in rev and the engine revs but no reverse ????so i pull the throttle back a little and engine revs more and then bang it slams into reverse????? i tried to put it in reverse half a dozen times at the dock and 5 out of 6 times the engine revs to about 1k then it slams into reverse.... but what i put it into drive its fine??? my question is what could have got damaged when i hit the log?? and will it damage the outdrive more doing this??? i never messed with a outdrive before and know nothing about them but i know my boat didnt do this before today... any input would help. thanks in advance

Maclin

Admiral
Re: please help

Is the drive leaking oil? If it is still in the water you can tell by a sheen on the water surface around the drive.