Fuel dumping into carb...normal?

Maxum88

Seaman
Ok, I have a 95 mercruiser 3.0LX. I rebuilt the carb, everything seemed good...did the chem dip, gaskets, float, etc. I now notice that when I start the boat the plastic fuel line that goes from the fuel pump into the carb near the top has fuel spraying into the carb. Is this normal? I thought this was just an overflow but it happens on a regular basis. I'm thinking this is also why it's hard to start if I turn in off and try starting it a couple minutes later. Bad fuel pump?

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Tim

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel dumping into carb...normal?

Ok, I have a 95 mercruiser 3.0LX. I rebuilt the carb, everything seemed good...did the chem dip, gaskets, float, etc. I now notice that when I start the boat the plastic fuel line that goes from the fuel pump into the carb near the top has fuel spraying into the carb. Is this normal? I thought this was just an overflow but it happens on a regular basis. I'm thinking this is also why it's hard to start if I turn in off and try starting it a couple minutes later. Bad fuel pump?

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Tim

Howdy,

Nope. Not "normal"

You need to replace your fuel pump.

I'll also add that, you might need to change the oil too. You may have some of that gasoline going into the engine too.

Cheers,

Rick

Maxum88

Seaman
Re: Fuel dumping into carb...normal?

Thanks Rick!

I guess I just needed a sanity check! I haven't pulled it yet to clean it, figured I would try that tomorrow but don't expect it to fix it. Sierra fuel pumps are about $110 and Mercruiser $132. In your opinion, should Sierra be OK, or should I just suck it up and go with Mercruiser (PN 861676A1)?

I'll go ahead and change the oil again and the water/fuel separator while I'm at it!
Thanks for your help!
-Tim