Crank Trailer Tongue Jack - Not sure if it is supposed to do that...?

rmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a welded on manual tongue jack and I'm in the process of replacing the gears, but I don't know if that's the only problem. Some of the teeth on the gears are broken, so I ordered new gears and pins. What I'm unsure about is the rod that comes up through the middle of the horizintal gear (this is the steel rod that turns when cranked). It seems to be gettting pulled down either by gravity or by a spring. So, the pin that goes through it to hold the horizontal gear in place is keeping the rod from falling down inside the jack. The problem is that when the jack is cranked and everything starts turning, the same pin is rubbing against the bottom of the gear housing and its starting to wear a circle into the metal. This just doesn't seem right, so I'm wondering if there is supposed to be bearing in there or if the rod is not supposed to be pulling down like that. The jack still works, but it has been getting harder to crank and its shearing the smaller pin in the vertical gear.

Any help or ideas to fix are much appreciated. I'd like to keep the jack operable if I can. Thanks!

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Crank Trailer Tongue Jack - Not sure if it is supposed to do that...?

Not a direct answer, but..... new jacks are really not very expensive. I know it's welded on, but you could probably trade a frellow boater with a welder a 6 pack for cutting it out and replaceing it. I know you could talk me into it, LOL!!!

choppywaters

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man, why all the messing around? Tractor Supply has nice bolt on jacks for 50-60 bucks.

rmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

#1 I already ordered the gears, so if I can fix it, I'd like to.
#2 I've heard the "bolt-on" jacks are more prone to failure.
#3 I guess I like that its an original part of the trailer.

I knew I might get an answer like that.... Really, I'd like to fix it. I might just have to buy an extra one to have in case I need it.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

The only thing that should be pulling down on that rod is the weight of it and the inner tube when the wheel is off the ground. I'll bet that the rod is rusty or the grease is hard and dried out and that is putting extra pressure on the gears when you turn the handle. Since you have the pins out, I would drop the inner tube out of the jack and inspect and lube the rod. If you can tilt your jack there will be plenty of room, if not you will have to raise the tongue up for clearance.

PC200001.jpg

This jack had a thrust washer and bushing on the rod at the top of the threads and another washer under the lower pin.

PC200006.jpg

This is a different jack but if the rod is really bad you can screw it all the way out of the tube by removing the wheel. There was no bushing on this one, just a thrust washer at the top of the threads and a washer under the pin.

PC240019.jpg

rmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Catt22, thanks! So how exactly do I get the tube out? I think you're right that it probably needs to be cleaned and greased. So I should be able to keep cranking it down until the whole bottom part comes out? Only the very top of the rod is visible in the gear housing, so I don't know what lies beneath. I seem to remember it getting increasingly difficult to crank the higher it gets, but maybe if I elevate it the tongue, it will come out. ??? Its an older Attwood jack and I'd love to keep it operational. I'm gald to see someone has actually taken one apart and knows what the inside looks like. Thanks again!

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

With the weight off the jack, you should not be able to move that rod up and down at all. If you can I would think that you are missing some parts or they are very worn. This is my jack with the gears off and you can see a washer under the pin. If you drive that pin out, the lower part of the jack will drop out the bottom and you should find another washer and or bushing on the shaft sitting on top of the threads. If there is nothing there, take a look up inside the tube to see if they are stuck up there. My jacks aren't Attwoods but I would think that they are all pretty much the same. Good luck and let us know what you find.

PC200003.jpg

rmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine looks exactly like that. I originally didn't have a washer and the base of the housing was worn a bit from the turning pin, but I have since added a washer and was thinking of actually putting some kind of bearing instead. At any rate, I will hitch up the trailer and pull the pin to see what falls out. Hopefully it just needs a little cleaning and nothing is permanently damaged. I'll keep you posted. Thanks very much for your help!