'06 MP 5.7L Leaking Intake Manifold

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am pretty sure I have a small amount of oil, but none the less some every time I go out, leaking from the transmission side (rear) of my intake manifold. I don't see any oil above the point where the manifold meets the block but definatley some dripping down on the block and trans. It's a carbed engine so if I'm pretty manchanically inclined, how much cash am I saving by resealing it myself according to the manual? It doesn't seem that hard but I'm leaning towards having it done just to sleep better knowing someone who has torn down an engine before did it.

Don't worry, I plan on asking my mechanic the same question but an unbiased opinion would be nice.:rolleyes:

Lwapo

Seaman
Re: '06 MP 5.7L Leaking Intake Manifold

Removing and replacing an intake manifold is a pretty straightforward deal.

I would guess that you are looking at about $200 to have a shop do it. This would include some new gaskets, sealant, and having the manifold re-set. You may or may not have to replace the bolts. I'm not sure. I know that some bolts stretch and need to be replaced after removing them and I'm not sure if Intake Manifolds are the same way.

The flip side is... re-doing it yourself is like 12 bolts, 2 gaskets and a little sealant. Not super difficult!

All in all, I would have someone else do it. IF something goes wrong (break a bolt, etc) you could be in for a lot of headaches.

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '06 MP 5.7L Leaking Intake Manifold

Thanks for validating my thoughts to the tee. $200-$300 is worth the peace of mind and warranty.