First longer tow trip (2hrs) with my boat. Suggestiosn?

ccave04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok everyone, so I am prepping to take my boat on a 2 hour road trip with me to a friends camp for the July 4th week.

My vehicle and boat are in the signature line, and I have a hustler single axle trailer that my boat goes on. I had some issues this year with not greasing bearings and ruining / destroying a bunch of stuff (expensive lesson to learn :facepalm:), which actually led to a whole bunch of repairs on my trailer. So all the bearings are replaced new brakes and a whole new actuator on the front of the trailer after the start of the years adventure.

Other than those repairs I do plan on buying a spare trailer tire and throwing it in the boat for the trip (when I get home I will probably order a spare tire holder to mount on the trailer).

Besides the obvious checks of the trailer that I should look for before I go on a short trip to the launch, is there any extra preparation you guys do for a longer trip?

I also have on snap on bow cover and cockpit cover that are on the boat, I planned on leaving these on during the trip, is that a bad idea or should I strap them down to be sure they don't come off?

Any input / tips would be helpful

Roadrager50

Seaman
Re: First longer tow trip (2hrs) with my boat. Suggestiosn?

You should be okay. I always carry extra grease and a complete set of bearings including the inside seal. Mind the way the trailer acts and compinsate your driving habits to match. Other than that I can't think of anything else.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

Take a means of jacking the trailer should you have a flat.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

^^^make sure you have a lug wrench that fits the trailer wheels also. Check the tires for any dry rot. If you see any I would replace them. Keep your speeds moderate also. I think most trailer tires are rated to 65 mph. Probably don't want to tow in overdrive either.

choppywaters

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would recommend stopping after the first hour or so to just check if everything is still tight. A ten minute stop could save a lot of aggravation.

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

good tips above!! I tow mine with all covers on the boat. I THINK it probably stretches them a bit, so they may sag when you stop/park. I'm fine with that due to a past experience. I kept covers off, and ended up haveing to pass through a road constructyion zone where they were paving. I had some of the material fly up into the boat. I ended up with a million tiny little specks ofoil/asphalt all over inside by boat with mostly white upholstery. I never did get it all out. As far as I am concerned it ruied the inside of the boat. I'll spend a few bucks on the cover, and protect the inside of my boat.

And...btw, my snap on covers have never given me reason to think they'd pop off, although I'm sure a hundred people will come on and say I'm wrong. It probably all depends on your individual setup.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I bring along an inexpensive hydraulic jack, a grease gun, a set of tools, and for really long trips a complete hub and bearing setup.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

AAAaaaaaaand, your worrying too much, relax you will be fine!

Mi duckdown

Commander

You could also hook up the trailer and drive around for a half hour and check things out, before the trip.
But I think you will be fine, if you are confident that everything you have done is correct.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

yea pull it a bit and check the lugs.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Three words:
Cordless
Impact
Wrench

:D

lncoop

Vice Admiral

AAAaaaaaaand, your worrying too much, relax you will be fine!

He had a bit of a scare a few weeks ago that resulted from not worrying enough, so now he's trying to be sure he doesn't make that mistake again. Definitely been there done that.:eek::facepalm:

oldjeep

Admiral

I bring along an inexpensive hydraulic jack, a grease gun, a set of tools, and for really long trips a complete hub and bearing setup.

Bring extra wheel bearings for the tow rig too?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

no, however on 2-3000 mile trips, things happen. usually 2 flats in a row due to construction debris. I have lost bearing buddies in the past. I could just bring along extra bearings, however I dont like the idea of changing bearings on the road, so if I have the extra hub I will never need it.

Tow Rig has tow insurrance

ccave04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All great suggestions, thanks everyone. I plan on replacing the oldest tire on the trailer, with a new tire, and using the oldest tire as the spare. One tire was brand new the day I bought the boat (got a flat on the way to water test it) so I think I should be good.

Just trying to get my ducks in a row, as incoop said I had some issues at the beginning of the season and I don't want to repeat them once I get an hour away from house.

Thanks again all for the suggestions.

ccave04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By the way everyone... I made it, there and back, just fine... :)

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Told ya so:D

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Glad you made it. 2 hours isn't really a big deal. Before I moved a little closer to a lake every trip was at least 2 hours. We would often leave on Sunday after church at 10am, get on the water by 12pm. We'd boat until 7pm and be home by 9pm. That's 4 hours of towing in a day. You should make sure your trailer is in good shape no mater the distance of the tow, then it won't matter.