cold starting 2001 225 hp evinrude ficht

luca brazi

Cadet
Ok.............. I have posted a previous thread some months ago pertaining this problem and have appreciated all of the responses. Problem: Engine will not start when cold unless I spray a gas/oil mix into manifold. After engine starts, it will run great and start for the rest of the day. Here's what I've done so far... New 1000 cca Batteries x(4). New Starter, New cables to starter, 2 new air temp sensors, new Plugs--index and gapped, Checked new batteries for voltage, New fuel filters- Mains and sseperators, fresh gas. Gas pump is working fine..... I have a 2005 ficht on the port side that starts without a problem ( if that matters? ). I brought it to my mechanic yesterday who said he can't plug it in to the computer until next week. What's troubling me is, he mentioned that if there is a compression issue, it may be the cause of my cold starting issue. Any thoughts???? Thank you in advance......

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: cold starting 2001 225 hp evinrude ficht

Sounds more like a sensor or emm issue than compression.

Haffiman

Commander
Re: cold starting 2001 225 hp evinrude ficht

When he gets to hook it up, ask him to do a timing verification.
Some people might suggest you to, as a test, swap the EMM's from the other engine, but that will have a different timing setting specific for that engine.