Cowel removal

Scruffelizer

Cadet
I just bought a 1973 Mercury 7.5 2 stroke engine. How do you remove the cowel? There is usually a latch, or screw or something obvious to release the cowel but I can't find it. HELP !

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Cowel removal

Check near the center line of the cowl, at the rear, near the bottom.

Else ... Post some pictures.

Edit: Item #18?

Merc7.jpg

yakesm72

Cadet

Pop the front plastic if there is one and there will be a latch underneath. Otherwise there will be a swing lever below the cowl on one side or the other.

Scruffelizer

Cadet

I just bought a 1973 Mercury 7.5 2 stroke engine. How do you remove the cowel? There is usually a latch, or screw or something obvious to release the cowel but I can't find it. HELP !

I looked at the rear and center line...there is nothing. I pulled and pushed but nothing happened. I took a pic but don't know to post it. Perhaps when my wife gets home...she will know how to post it.

Scruffelizer

Cadet

I looked at the rear and center line...there is nothing. I pulled and pushed but nothing happened. I took a pic but don't know to post it. Perhaps when my wife gets home...she will know how to post it.
I can't believe this is so difficult. It will wind up being something very simple.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Cowl removal

Re: Cowl removal

Some had two levers in the rear along the side of the cast piece. Back then it seems like every model or year had a different latch set up.
They made it frustrating.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have a 1972 20 hp "200". In case yours is the same: there is a white plastic button under the pull-start. Push it down to remove the Mercury face plate. under there are 2 latches holding the wrap-around cowl on. the top and bottom stay on

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

cr2k has it right.

Entire top cowl is one solid piece of aluminum.

The latch assembly is in the rear.

See the little wing that extends to the rear, on each side.
Look on the inside lower edge of the wing.
There is a latch that swings downward.
There is one on each side.

You really can't tell it is a latch by just looking at it, you have to pull it down.

click the thumbnails.

000 1a.jpg 000 1aa.jpg

Scruffelizer

Cadet

FINAL POSTING That a boy Roscoe! I found it and now have it off. It was easy...just had to know where to look. Thanks to ALL responders Over and out.