Replacing impeller

doublg

Recruit
New to forum so I apologize if this question has been asked and anwered. I recently aquired a 79 Chrysler 20hp outboard. Would like the explanation for dummies on removing lower unit and replacing impeller. I unbolted and saw a tube that appeared to be cotter pinned. It looks to required being seperated before the lower unit will come loose. Any other advice on the matter would be appreciated.

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Replacing impeller

Post pictures and I will reply if they are related to the info that I have. I feel you are mixing shift rod and water tube related to dropping the LU.

doublg

Recruit

Tube may have been a poor choice. The rod was located in the forward area of the lower unit. When the lower unit was unbolted it dropped a couple of inches. I could see where the rod was connected by a pin which in turn has a cotter pin through it. It appears that this is in place to allow the rod to be seperated once the cotter and rod pin are removed. Just didnt want to mess with it without knowing for sure. I will try to attach pic if needed. Will have to figure that out too.

wickware

Lieutenant

I searched for some previous post with Pics and info on my 35 HP LU related. I guess they only leave them up so long. I know some Chryslers are related 35-55 HP, I am not sure of the differences with 20 HP and years. That is why I asked for pics but the pin you mentioned should show in the few attachments I?ll attach. Usually Basics Are Basics! Looks like you need a good Clymer Manual.

Attachments

• 70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 3.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 3.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 8.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 8.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 9.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 9.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Chrysler Impeller 1970 35HP.JPG
    Chrysler Impeller 1970 35HP.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 0

doublg

Recruit

I am having trouble replying on these threads, let alone working on the motor!!!!! The pics look pretty much like my engine so I am confident I can proceed at this point. Thanks for the help and I am sure more questions will pop up. I just am not ready to go all in on this engine until it proves reliable.

wickware

Lieutenant

A good point on the engine proving to be reliable and staying with boating that was new to me in 1984. My 35 HP was to be my starter to see if I had the interest and Etc to stay. I?m still with that same boat and motor and very satisfied I have not put any more money into fishing and no boating only. They have been more than enough with my fishing going from about 8 + to 3 trips (avg 100 ? 200 mi round trip) this season w/o one "Real Keeper". LOL! I have enjoyed it all and plan to make some more trips when the North, TX weather allows and the Fish Are Jumping In The Boat!! It has become Safety and Quality Time over the Quantity of fish since we Caught our lifetime limits!!