shore line 2 stroke oil mixing bottle

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
OK I will sort of set this up. This years I started it off by adding a second 6 gallon tank with the idea of running the oil mix in 6 gallon batches. I bought 8 16 oz bottles of 2 stroke oil so when I fill up its a dump a bottle in and add 6 gallons and back to fishing. No measuring no fuss. I ran through those bottles and it went fine.

My idea was from then on to buy it by the gallon and refill the 16 oz bottles and I did using a kitchen measuring cup and ran into a small problem the last bottle was about 8 oz short. And I noticed I had a bit of extra bug smoke. :D

This time around I bought one of the shoreline 2 stroke measuring bottles thinking their was some difference in the volume of 2 stroke oil. So this time around I used the 50:1 scale on the bottle and on the last bottle I ended up with 4 oz left. Dumped that back into the gallon jug and poured one of the ones I had just filled back into the shoreline bottle and looked at the oz scale to find it it was 1/2 oz short. So I went through ever one of the refilled bottles and added enough to get the 16 oz on the scale and on the last bottle I may of had a 1/2 oz left.

Just thought I would toss this out there. I know a lot of people use the oil injected motors these days :facepalm: but a lot still do their own fuel mixtures to. :cool:

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: shore line 2 stroke oil mixing bottle

I buy oil in 2 1/2 gal jugs. Use a pint mason jar to measure for 6 gallons. Not rocket science. Couple of ounces here or there won't wreck your engine.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Is this my differential calculus forum??:confused::D

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

James, I think you're finding that some of the oil remains in all the bottles. You're secondary bottles are retaining some of the oil and not depositing it into your tank. I have this same problem with bottling my marinades; I make a batch of several gallons that should produce "x" 12oz bottles but always came away with the last one short. The solution is to bottle by weight not volume. Get an accurate scale and note the weight of a clean unused secondary bottle when empty. Now fill it to 16oz, empty it into your tank, then immediately re-weigh the bottle and note the weight of it with the bit of oil remaining. The difference will account for the remainder oil and this weight will need to be added to your fills of the bottles.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Could be but lol all of them were wet I just found it odd that the 50 : 1 scale was off by a 1/2 oz but the OZ scale was right on.

And yes I am well aware that most people know the mix can be off a good bit and it wont do any harm to the motor, but I found out may years ago if you keep the mix consistentant you get consistent performance out of the motor and long term the motor lasts longer. And I will put more hours on a motor in a season than most will in several years. Right now I am at 65 hours for this season .

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

To bad there isn't metric on your pumps and oil bottles.
Just take the liters(gas) and times it by 20(0r 2 and add a 0)...thats the amount of oil(ml's) to add for 50:1.
They make conversion charts on the internet,I bet they make an app that you could use on your phone,if applicable.