83 johnson 30 hp is peeing hot water

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 83 johnson 30 hp is peeing hot water

The 'pee' is not taken out from the cylinder cooling circuit, but from the exhaust cover BEFORE water enters the cylinder. It might be hot when running full throttle, but if hot even at idle, replace impeller. If still hot, remove exhaust cover and check for any gasket leaks from exhaust.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

if the impeller was would it be "peeing"? my stream is cold when engine is cold, How hot is hot? does it burn your hand? need more info

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class

My '88 15hp tell-tale runs quite warm to very warm depending on the thermostat position- maybe a bit over 160. If you're concerned while on the water just splash a few drops of fresh water on the top of the block. If it steams you've definitely got a heat issue, if not, you're probably still in the safe zone.

powers laker

Cadet

we decided to replace impeller,put the hole kit together,but now we have another issue,cant get it reengage on the upper spline,we think the exhaust port reseated but boat is in the water so perfect alignment is next to impossible,gonna give her another go tomorrow,any tips

Haffiman

Commander

Slowly turn the flywheel when pushing up the gear-case and it will align.
Guess your next problem will be to adjust the shifting?

powers laker

Cadet

Slowly turn the flywheel when pushing up the gear-case and it will align.
Guess your next problem will be to adjust the shifting?
More than likely although I have adjusted shifting linkage once before on my fishing boat,for some reason,it is down also,no spark then spark issue,but now that I have found this site,I have seen some threads that might help.I bought a 101 lb thrust trolling motor so at least I can still get around our lake happily.Awesome site.Now its time to make the donuts!!!

powers laker

Cadet

everything went well,Next time i have to change an impeller ,when I start should I put the motor in gear or leave it in neutral ???? thanks for the help folks.

Haffiman

Commander

Does not matter unless boat on land and you are alone. If so, when in gear you may turn the prop and 'align' the drive shaft with the crank splines.