Removing Bottom Paint

slalomskiing31

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a boat, and it has bottom paint on it. I don't really need bottom paint. The paint needs to be re-done anyways, so I was thinking I could just remove it? Is it hard to do? Does anyone have some pictures of when they did there boat?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Removing Bottom Paint

Yes, it is hard to fully remove bottom paint . . .

I would recommend using a paint remover such as 'Peel Away' instead of sanding. The paint is very toxic, etc.

It may take multiple applications to get the paint off, all depending on how 'clean' you want the hull and such. You may want to apply an epoxy barrier coat just to make things look nice and to provide some blister protection.

slalomskiing31

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, I'm picking up the boat tomorrow.. I think I will just bottom paint it again. Seems like a lot of work for something I don't even mind. But is it just as hard to bottom paint it?

TilliamWe

Banned

No it's not as hard to reapply bottom paint. But if the current paint is missing is spots, if you want it to look good, it will take time. And money. ;)

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

A nice sharp scraper. The paint that was always under the water line (most of it aside from a few inches along the sides) should scrape down fairly good. At least that's how my boats paint came off. Even if reapplying it, I think you would want to scrape and sand it well.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Okay, I'm picking up the boat tomorrow.. I think I will just bottom paint it again. Seems like a lot of work for something I don't even mind. But is it just as hard to bottom paint it?

consider whether you want underwater paint or antifouling paint--huge price difference.

slalomskiing31

Seaman Apprentice

No it's not as hard to reapply bottom paint. But if the current paint is missing is spots, if you want it to look good, it will take time. And money. ;)

Alright, the boat itself looks brand new! I figure a new coat of bottom paint will make it look really nice. How much does it cost for someone else to do this for me? (ballpark).

A nice sharp scraper. The paint that was always under the water line (most of it aside from a few inches along the sides) should scrape down fairly good. At least that's how my boats paint came off. Even if reapplying it, I think you would want to scrape and sand it well.

How did it look when you were done?

consider whether you want underwater paint or antifouling paint--huge price difference.
I l

Hmm.. The boat is left in the water 3 months of the year, but used almost every day for those 3 months. What one would you suggest for this? It is in fresh water.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

The heavy paint came off, there was some residual paint on there, and the barrier coat was still 100% in tact. A sanding to get it smooth and I redid the bottom in black.

slalomskiing31

Seaman Apprentice

A little late, but I've been busy. I picked up my boat the other day. It does need bottom paint, so I picked up a gallon from West Marine. I picked up some rollers that the guy suggested to apply the paint. I also got acetone (I think) to clean the bottom before I apply it. Is there any tricks to paining where the bunks are? I don't have a lift and I will be painting it while it is on the trailer. I went with anti-fauling paint.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

to clear the bunks:
Block the trailer wheels securely all directions.
Lower the trailer tongue jack all the way.
Put wooden blocks under the transomas tight as you can.
Raise the tongue jack. The stern will lift off the bunks (technically the opposite)
Don't put your hand under there!

You can also use a floor jack under the transom at the keel.

slalomskiing31

Seaman Apprentice

Alright awesome! Also will I need to do one or two coats? How long should the take for a 19' boat? Drying time?