96 115hp crossflow Intermittent won't rev up... But sometimes it does. Help

jgouras

Cadet
So it's a crossflow but a turbojet. Starts idles and runs great. Had it out today ran for 15-20 min great power no issues, then while at full throttle the rpm's just drop. Dont have a tach but speed dropped from 48 to 18. Will not power up, heading to the dock and I get occasional blips of full power then it drops off again. This has happened before but I thought it was debris in the impeller but it's not. I have tried searching but can not find what I need.

86 century

Ensign
Re: 96 115hp crossflow Intermittent won't rev up... But sometimes it does. Help

Start with the fuel system sounds like you have some kind of a restriction in fuel delivery.
If you take it out again try hitting the choke/inricher to see if that helps.

Would be a good idea to look over the ignition wile you are at it.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Possible that a sudden drop in power is a problem with the ignition system. Likely the engine is not running on all 4 cylinders. You can check for spark with a simple test. Run the engine on the garden hose. Make sure it is fully warmed up. Pull one of the spark plug wires off one plug with a set of insulated pliers. The rpm's should drop dramatically. Replace the plugwire and do the next cyl. If one cyl does not have an rpm drop-likely it is not sparking. Or you can use an inductive timing light to check for spark. The flashes from the gun will show misfires, no fires, weak firing, etc.

jgouras

Cadet

So I tested the coils per the manual, they were all in spec. I did the run test and all four cylinders responded the same, dropping of the rpms and a rougher run. Any other ideas?

86 century

Ensign

You will haft to put it in the water to test fuel by hitting the choke.

jgouras

Cadet

Problem solved, out of frustration I bought parts and slowly replaced until it worked. It was the power pack. Now it runs like a champ.