First Boat - OMC Sterndrive- Lost my prop nut

jeffreylester2

Recruit
Need some help folks. I have a 1986 OMC sterndrive 2.5 L. I'm having a new prop being shipped to me Friday. I'd like to go out on the lake this Friday. However, I lost my prop nut. The local boat shops give me the evil eye/you are dumb look each time I visit there. Trying to figure out the sizing information of my prop nut so I can go in armed with the correct information. It there an easy way to relay this information to them? It seems like anytime I go in there talking about my 86 omc they always say they don't have anything. Or do new propellers typically come with prop nuts? Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Jeff

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: First Boat - OMC Sterndrive- Lost my prop nut

Just take them the sterndrive model and serial number if they can't look it up shop somewhere else. There is usually the option of ordering nuts and or spacers/thrust washers with your prop depending on where you buy it.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: First Boat - OMC Sterndrive- Lost my prop nut

I went to my local hardware store with the shaft diameter and an impression of the threads per inch...squeezed a piece of paper against the threads. Came out with a nylon insert, self locking nut that fit perfectly, cost a buck or so. That will get you by.....still using mine.

Mark