my prop is shot!!

westy66

Cadet
I got a new boat last week; 16' fiberglass runabout with a 75 hp Merc and the prop has one chewed up cracked blade and one bent one. Its an aluminum 12P. I want a new one. Here's the twist, I've never run the boat yet. I'm having a guy come over and tune it up.

I'm thinking the prop will probably perform poorly. Doesn't that seem like a small pitch for that HP and size boat. I'm probably going to go SS, I'm In lake erie. What do you think??

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: my prop is shot!!

So you bought a boat without sea trial with a destroyed prop and you're worried about a tuneup instead of a busted lower unit ? I think a review of your priorities might be in order.

westy66

Cadet

Haha... In typical internet forum fashion, there's always someone that has to come with a post to stroke their fragile ego to feel better about themselves. Thanks for your worthless response. How about just answering the question.

The boat was $500 with at least a $1000-1500 worth of motors and equipment on it. She runs well and goes into gear smoothly.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Unfortunately nobody can tell you if a 12 pitch prop is the right one with out some WOT RPM and speed figures from you. Personally, I wouldn't even consider using the prop you have now either. You might want to call around and see if any local prop shops or marinas offer a trial service for props. Some of them offer this so folks can figure out what prop works best for them with out actually having to purchase a prop that may be no good for their needs.

While your guy is doing the tune to the engine, have him drain the leg oil to have a look at it for any water intrusion or metal particles. The other thing you guys should be doing is an impeller if the previous owner hasn't done one in the past 2-3 years.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

read "read this first" at the top of the prop forum.
Don't be afraid to use some space with as much info as possible about the boat and motor.
It might be cost effective to have the prop repaired at a prop shop. If you need a prop change you can sell the prop or keep it for a spare.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Of course we need more info as mentioned above but just ballparking since one of my boats is a 16 foot bowrider with an 85 hp engine, I run 17's and 19's. I'm taken back a bit if it really is a 12. I wouldn't waste money on an SS prop for that hp of engine. A decent aluminum will likely work very well.

etracer68

Ensign

Jimmbo, I seen an ad on CL for a boat with a prop almost the same shape. The person who posted the add, said," Prop MAY need some repair, but worked fine, last time out".

Looks like a good wall hanger, and tell stories with a beer of course.