ECM 555 Question

scc

Recruit
I have a set of 2003 mercruiser 350 MPI with serial numbers 0M317080 and 0M317081. They both have the motorola ECM 555's. I purchased a Rinda scan tool with the 4 pin connector. Went to check the engines out (no issues just wanted to see the info in the ECM) and when I plug in the connector, I get nothing on the display. I am almost sure that I need 12 VDC on the two outer pins that the scan tool hooks up to so I checked with my multimeter and am only getting 5 VDC. Both engines are the same. Any idea why I am not getting the proper voltage. The engines work fine with no issues. Any help would be appriciated. Steve

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: ECM 555 Question

Did you turn the ignition key to on? Did the dash gauges work normal with key on?

scc

Recruit

Yes and yes. From my understanding the two outer pins should have 12 vdc with ignition on or off. Either way, I do not have 12vdc with the ignition off, ignition on or with engines running. The terminal points for this voltage are 102 and 104 on this model year from the manual. I do not see any fuses inline. I have both the engine and ECM manual so I guess I am going to track down pins to see if I can find the issue. It's kinda wierd that both engines are doing the same thing. As I said in my post, I have zero issues with the engines. Any ECM 555 experts out there??? Steve

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Not sure you'd call me an expert, but I have a V6 MPI with the same ECU (different programming obviously) and I also have the Rinda diagnostic software.. Does also being an electronics tech count? :D

Are you running the software on a laptop or is it a scan tool? I have the laptop software and have no issues, it runs nicely... Are you measuring the voltage on the diagnostic connector on the engine with the tool removed? I just went and checked mine... A prefect 12 volts between the 2 end pins when the key is ON.... If it was only on one of your engines I'd say a bad splice, but both? Seriously doubt that!!!

Chris.......

I guess this is what you're talking about....

attachment.php

Attachments

• Diagnostic connector.jpg
    Diagnostic connector.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 3

scc

Recruit

Yes this is the same drawing I am using from service manual 36. I have 5 volts accross these terminals on both engines. I will have to start to track down the wires and see what the issue is. My guess is a ground somewhere. And yes it is strange that both engines show the same isssue. I am attempting to use the scan tool and not software. Steve

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Ground problem would be my guess too... Try metering from the 'ground' pin to the engine block.. If that shows 0 volts the problem is the power side of things... If you get a voltage around 7 volts (I suspect you will) then the problem is in the ground circuit... Maybe a ground wire not connected correctly...

Chris.....