Mounting a new head - holes don't line up - SOLVED

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys, this may sound like a really dumb question, but here is my dilemma today...

The PO cleaned the bowl of the old toilet with something that ate the finish off - I'm pretty sure it was porcelain, so I can't imagine what they used. Anyway, the base metal is rusting away. In addition, the valves are shot and its time for maintenance. The boss suggested I just replace the old crappy (pun intended) head with a new one. Took advantage of the Father's Day sale at West Marine, used a couple of frequent shopper certificates, and next thing I know I've got a new Jabsco head for about $130. Anyway, I pulled the old head today and went to install the new one. Pretty straight forward except the $#*@ mounting holes don't line up. The old mounting holes had either T-nuts or lock nuts embedded into the back side of the fiberglass. I would just drill new holes and thru-bolt, but I can't physically reach the back (under) side of the platform the head sits on. It appears as though the head closet was built as a single piece and then installed before the topside and hull were mated up. I haven't worked a lot with fiberglass in terms of a structural connection so I'm a little nervous. Soooo.......

Should I:

a. Just use a small diameter SS lag (old bolts were approx. 1/4"), drill the holes big enough so as not to put too much stress on the glass and hope for the best?

b. Use a hole saw to cut small (maybe 1 1/2" dia) access holes, one at each pair of bolts, 5200 or epoxy some locknuts into place, and install the new bolts after the 5200 or epoxy cures? I'm a little concerned this might be too much hole too near the mounting bolts.

c. ???????

I really can't imagine the connection taking a lot of load. Especially knowing that a home toilet only has two bolts and I don't think they are more than 1/4 20.

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mounting a new head - holes don't line up

hello you can try some butterfly nuts, it just might work

dsiekman

hello you can try some butterfly nuts, it just might work

Hmmm...that might work!

I was just thinking about fabricating a SS mounting plate that would allow me to offset everything but your idea is a LOT easier!

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Is the floor just thin fiberglass, or does it have a wood (or something else) core? If theres a core below, you could predrill and bolt it down.

My old boat had limited to no access below the head floor, but it had a core material that I was able to bolt into, and the toilet was solid.

dsiekman

It appears to be about 1/2" glass, but I can't say for sure if it has a core or not.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

In that case I think I'd want it through bolted with back plates... Is there a closet near or adjacent that you might be able to cut into the floor to gain access? You could cut a 4" hole, get it bolted down and then install an inspection plate in that hole?

dsiekman

The only adjacent space is a storage area under the deck. This would be ideal but I would be cutting through a glassed in bulkhead which concerns me a little. I am not sure if it is structural and it already has several holes in it.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

A glassed in wood bulkhead, or a glasses in fiberglass over wood bulkhead? I assume it's tabbed to the hull? You might be able to cut access, and when finished, patch it back fairly well. Other than gaining access underneath that floor space, you might be stuck with simply selling, tapping and bolting down the head. I wonder if there a fastener that will allow a secure hold to fiberglass?

dsiekman

Problem Solved. I was able to get two holes aligned with the existing holes. I drilled out the two new holes and found wood under the glass. I picked up two brass threaded inserts at my local hardware store for the other two holes. The inserts have course thread on the outside and 1/4 20 on the inside. I overdrilled slightly so the glass wouldn't crack, packed the hole full of 5200 and installed the insert. Once the 5200 sets those inserts won't budge.