question on ways of cleaning up grudge inside of motor

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer
i wanted to start my own thread. i was told by adding a litre of trany fluid to your motor oil is a good way of cleaning out the grudge out of a motor. this info has came from a very reputable mechanic i know achris has commented already what do you guys think

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: question on ways of cleaning up grudge inside of motor

What are you referring to when you say "Grundge" ?

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

What are you referring to when you say "Grundge" ?

anything that would clog up in the oil passages stuff that sticks to the walls of the motor sorry for loss of words sludge, cleans out oil pump etc etc and this mechanic says it's a good way to also break in a motor

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I can't remember the last time I seen a lot of sludge buildup in a marine engine. Sounds like you have an old auto mechanic for a boat mechanic. Are you having a problem, or a salesman for a mechanic?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is one product that has been around for decades and I attest to its usefulness in cleaning up an engines internals. But thinking you have an engine that needs cleaning and actually having one that does are two separate situations. Determine IF you have a sludge/varnish/crud build-up first. Remove a valve cover and look. If you find a coating of crud, change the oil using one quart less than normal. For the final quart add one quart of RISLONE. It is available at most auto and farm stores. I've used this stuff for many years (obvisouly not so much in the last twenty) since engine ventilation systems are much better and oils have improved. The worst cleanup job was on a Toyota that the gents wife was supposed to be taking care of and wasn't. It seized due to lack of oil. If you've ever seen an engine that has baked oil residue (ranges from black to golden brown varnish) and ried to remove it you know there isn't much that will touch it. Lacquer thinner won't remove it but RISLONE does. I rebuilt that engine, added the snake oil and told the owner to bring it back in 500 miles. I pulled the cam cover and it was so clean you could eat your lunch out of it. It was a popular additive back in the late 40's when cars first had hydraulic valve lifters. Many cars didn't have oil filters then so oil got dirty in a hurry. When lifters began to clatter, a shot of RISLONE quieted them until the next oil change. But as DON said, you just don't see gunky engines anymore unless water is making it's way into the engine.

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

I can't remember the last time I seen a lot of sludge buildup in a marine engine. Sounds like you have an old auto mechanic for a boat mechanic. Are you having a problem, or a salesman for a mechanic?

no no guys i rebuilt mine, where i was rebuilding my motor the owner rents out a spot for another mechanic he buys and sells construction equipment bulldozer back hoes and so on. he was just telling me how he adds trany fluid to the motor oil to clean out the sludge from motors and he also adds to freshly rebuilt motors to break them in , i told him i never heard of this before and i was just wondering if any other mechanic heard of this

achris

More fish than mountain goat

no no guys i rebuilt mine, where i was rebuilding my motor the owner rents out a spot for another mechanic he buys and sells construction equipment bulldozer back hoes and so on. he was just telling me how he adds trany fluid to the motor oil to clean out the sludge from motors and he also adds to freshly rebuilt motors to break them in , i told him i never heard of this before and i was just wondering if any other mechanic heard of this

I think that's the clue right there... He doesn't care what longterm damage is done. Just so it looks good for a sale.... :facepalm:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

The only thing that causes "sludge" in an engine is NOT changing the oil on a regular basis!

Adding ANY solvent (or any snake-oil for that matter) to the crankcase oil in an engine that has NOT had regular oil changes will risk engine destruction.

"Stuff" that breaks loose from oil passages on the "clean-side" of the oil filter can possibly clog the passage further up the line.

If it happens to an oil passage to a main or rod bearing, you run the risk of seizing that bearing and "spinning" it!

Spun bearings will cause all sorts of internal destruction!

The ONLY way to safely clean up the "grudge", is to dissemble, clean the engine and reassemble.

Tell your friends not to buy anything from that guy!!!

Cheers,

Rick