Lower unit removal

LuckyPenny

Petty Officer 1st Class
I hope this does not sound like a silly question, but is it necessary to remove the zinc tab locate on the bottom of the cavatation plate to remove the lower unit. This is the one with the allen screw holding it in place.

r1gal

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Lower unit removal

I think there's a bolt underneath the plate. You have to remove it so it will seperate from the upper unit.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

While it might be easy to just say YES, there is a bolt under there, the first thing one needs to know is what kind of drive and what year drive it is you are working on.<br />I am assuming it's some year of a Mercruiser Alpha or Pre-Alpha drive, but from your post there is no way of knowing for sure.<br />When you ask a question, (And this goes for everyone posting a new thread), just put something in EVERY new thread you start that says exactly what you have questions about. Don't expect everyone to remember what you have because you posted it a couple of months ago.

LuckyPenny

Petty Officer 1st Class

it is an "R" drive late '70's. I know that there is an allen head bolt located deep inside a recess, but it is almost deep enough to be on the lower unit its self rather than through the upper casing.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is a bolt under the anode. The allen head bolt is what holds the anode to the lower unit. Remove the anode and you will see the bolt you have to remove.