Looking for some insight on a '86 Yamaha 90hp

70smithy

Cadet
Just looking for some insight. I am looking at upgrading my 1975 Johnson 70 with a 1986 Yamaha 90hp.

The guy has been working on Yamaha OB's for years and says he replaced the lower unit on this motor due to heavy corrosion but the power head is in good condition with great compression (145 psi on all cyl.) I don't have a model number at this time but hope to look at the motor today/tomorrow. He's asking $1400 and seems firm on the price.

Is this in line with what these motors go for? What other pitfalls should I look to avoid in dealing with this make?

Thank you

renegade15

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Looking for some insight on a '86 Yamaha 90hp

I'm also new to yamaha, oddly enough replaced an '88 evinrude 60 that replaced a '90 johnson 70 just last year. Got a great deal on a '06 yamaha 50. The lower unit seemed to be the thing to look out for when I asked a yamaha mechanic that is my friend's brother. He suggested a lower unit pressure test if the seller will allow it to be brought to a mechanic. My seller hooked it up to my truck with a small deposit and said go for it! While it was there he did a compression test and checked inside each of the cylinders with a scope. Might see if you can find a shop in your area that is not swamped to take a look at it? And if you suggest to the seller you want someone to take a look at it and there is resistance, then I'd be asking myself why? Anything I've ever sold I am open to a mechanic check out...Good luck!

robert graham

Admiral

Since the guy replaced the lower unit "due to heavy corrosion", maybe it's a saltwater motor and has other corrosion issues? A 26 year old motor for $1400 just seems a bit high to me. I bought a Yamaha 90C new in 1999 and it's been running trouble free so far, so I believe they are darn good motors. I'd be looking for a younger, freshwater motor. Good Luck!:)

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree price seems high to me as well. I'd say more around the $700-$900 range or even less if your a negotiator lol. Also I wouldn't touch anything without being able to test it.

robert graham

Admiral

I agree price seems high to me as well. I'd say more around the $700-$900 range or even less if your a negotiator lol. Also I wouldn't touch anything without being able to test it.
My 2nd on that, and a sea trial on that motor would be required....proof's in the runnin';)....Good Luck\!

70smithy

Cadet

Just a follow up to my original post. I didn't buy that motor. It blew a head gasket on the sea trial and it turns out that saltwater had corroded the head so much that it started to eat into the cylinders. But...

I found another Yamaha motor, one year newer and 90 hp, but has been run in fresh water only. Low hours (according to the owner) and very clean and ran well on sea trial. It was hanging on a bass boat w/ a trailer that I had to buy in order to get the motor. Brought it home, swapped motors with the 70 Johnson I had on my boat and sold the lot. Ended up paying $1100 (with new shifter cables-the originals were too short) for a very nice motor that has run like a top since we first put it in the water in July. Patience and a little elbow grease paid off in spades.

Buy beware but deals are out there!

jbjennings

Captain

Just wanted to mention that my '98 90hp yamaha has 120psi on all three cylinders, so 145 actually seems a little high to me, not that it has any bearing since you didn't buy it. I absolutely love my 90hp triple. Good on gas and I have not had the 1st problem with it. I'll bet you like yours, too.
JBJ

Capt Ken

Commander

To give you a heads up. The lower shift shaft on that engine is made out of regular steel and will rust off just above the lower coupling. So if it fails to shift one day, that will more than likely be the problem. Everything built after 93 used stainless shafts and all replacement shafts are stainless.