Need some Info.

Rockman99

Cadet
Hi all I have 14' Doresett with a 1960 Mercury Thunderbolt 300 35Hp motor the prop that's on it says -10 on it which I assume is the pitch? What would the fastest and slowest props I could on this unit? ;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Need some Info.

Not too many props offered for that 1960 motor. That is considered to be antique :( HARD to find parts for.......

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

"Johns old mercury web site" has lots of vintage merc stuff going on and a forum Don't know if you have to join but could be a wealth of info. definitely worth the trip even if you don't get the help you need.

Rockman99

Cadet

Thanks Guys so far I've been lucky and found most items I need. I was just curious about the pitches of props that would be OK for this unit.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You don't buy a "fastest" or "slowest" prop. You buy the prop that puts the wide open throttle engine rpm at or very near the top of the manufacturers recommended WOT rpm range with what you consider an average load. To make that determination you need a tachometer. For all you know you already have the "fastest" prop. Overprop (too much pitch) and you lug the engine. Under prop (too little pitch) you over rev the engine.

Rockman99

Cadet

Thanks for the info. Also does anybody know where I can the tool needed to remove the impeller on my 1960 Mercury 300 35 HP motor? It's tubular maybe 2 1/2 or 3 inches in diam. has 4 pints on it shaped in a square and the top would be shaped for wrench.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the info. Also does anybody know where I can the tool needed to remove the impeller on my 1960 Mercury 300 35 HP motor? It's tubular maybe 2 1/2 or 3 inches in diam. has 4 pints on it shaped in a square and the top would be shaped for wrench.
Its been years since I was active on johns old mercury web site and not much then. They do discuss many tools and procedures,
how to make tools or avoid using them. From my limited experience there isn't a better site for the vintage Merc fan.
There is a forum,pictures of vintage mercs, boats, boat shows etc etc