1982 Volvo Penta I/O

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
Hello everyone got my hands on a 1982 Welcraft, which has a Volvo Penta 270 i/o drive. So my question is how do I go about hooking up a garden hose on the out-drive in order to dry dock run the motor and flush? I'm only familiar with my previous OMC (yes I said it sorry!), which has the adapter build on the out-drive already. So I hear there is a thing called muffs? No idea what this means so if someone could shed some light on this matter for me that would be great. If possible pictures to help describe. If you need me to I can post pictures of my drive as well. I will also add photos of the boat too, soon. I just really want to get this motor running for its first test run if possible.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1982 Volvo Penta I/O

The link you provided is that the exact muffs I will need? Or do I need to reference certain numbers on my motor to match the ones I need?

I can check my local retailers such as West Marine, or other stores as well to save from ordering but if need be I will order on Iboats since they are competitive prices.

Wait your response to the above questions then I will be on the search for these muffs.

Thanks.

Also just checked the reviews and most don't seem to say good things. hmm..

captmello

Captain

I agree with don, those muffs are better for the older vp outdrives. Ignore those comments, no muffs fit exact.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

I went and picked up a set of muffs today and a new battery. Hope to start motor tomorrow. Had to also replace ignition as original owner lost key. Thanks for your help to everyone. Oh and turns out the boat had muffs in it they were kind of old so I will just use my new ones instead. Will post a response once i hear it run and let you guys know how things tuen out.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Next question, you said to make sure to plug hole in backside of lower unit under the muffs. Do they sell a plug for this hole? I found what I believe to be one at West Marine today in same section of the muffs and bilge plug. Unfortuante I bought one a little to big so I will return that plug tomorrow and look for the smaller one. Just curious if that plug has a specific name?

possum2082

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Next question, you said to make sure to plug hole in backside of lower unit under the muffs. Do they sell a plug for this hole? I found what I believe to be one at West Marine today in same section of the muffs and bilge plug. Unfortuante I bought one a little to big so I will return that plug tomorrow and look for the smaller one. Just curious if that plug has a specific name?

before i found a rubber stopper at work (chemistry teacher), i think i used a pencil with the eraser shoved up in it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I use the tapered end off a tube of sealant and had it attached to the muffs with a piece of wire so I never forgot to remove it from the drive when done.

591-638-851-3.jpg