Looking at a replacement 1150...fair value?

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer
Hello I am looking at this 1150 locally. It is a 1975 by SN. It will need a new internal wiring harness or I coul pull the harness off my 72 1150. Assuming the compression checks out and the gear oil is free of water what is this thing worth?
It would be nice to have the better gear ratio than my current 72 also.

I was going to offer him $600 for the motor only. Is this a fair price?
IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

I would feel ok paying $800 if the harness was good and if it had a new impeller, but I am going to budget the $200 for maintenance and repairs. What do the experts think?

Thanks!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking at a replacement 1150...fair value?

I think $600 is pretty high. I would aim for 1/2 of that, and try to get it for 400-450. The '72 harness should fit as should most of the other parts.

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

The best thing going for this engine is it is a known runner recently on the water. There is also a 1400 attached to a donor boat...a 1400 would be great but it is unknown when it was last run and little is known about it. I am also waiting on a call back on a 1981 Merc 150. It is a V6 model so I am not that familiar with it, but it comes with controls. I am not sure how different the moutning holes would be and I do not want to drill more holes in the transom. An inline replacement would be ideal because my tilt and trim hoses are brand new and my Mercontrol recently rewired. Just looking for an engine to get me through a season or two while I explore other options. Thanks for the replies!

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

This motor is actually a 1500, so I was super excited about getting it...until the compression test. All of the holes were between 112-120, but number three was 90. That was enough to make me walk away. I was pretty bummed but had been reading that number three is usually the first to go. We soaked the cylinder in oil for most of the day and then tried another compression test. It cam up a little but not enough. Oh well the hunt continues.

I am going to look at a 1981 V6 150 on Sunday, complete with controls and power trim. Compression is supposed to be good on all cylinders and has rebuilt carbs and fuel pump. Been sitting on a stand in a garage for three years intended to use on a 19' Nitro but he ended up putting on a 225 that was the right price.

I am kind of dissapointed getting away from an inline Merc becasue I just had my control rewired, added power T&T and brand new hoses to my current 1150. Oh well, it is always something I suppose.