Using ether to start 76' johnson 85hp javelin?Ok?

Just bought a 1976 glastron sportster T-166 with a 85hp johnson javelin outboard. The seller told me its cold blooded and needs a shot of ether to get to run on initial start. Usually not requiring it after warmed up. Now im no machanic but is this ok to do?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Using ether to start 76' johnson 85hp javelin?Ok?

NO. Ether has no lubricant in it and washes what oil that there is off of parts.

Use a spray bottle of 50:1 fuel mix, and hope the PO hasn't ruined the engine.

nwcove

Admiral

im with JB, and would be concerned about the starting issue ,and how many times that method was used. ( ether may be ok for a farm tractor, but it isnt a good thing for a two stroke ob) resolve the starting problem and avoid the ether!!

I actually just had the same issue with my engine, just get one of those windex bottles and spray a squirt of your fuel-oil mix in the throat of the carbs and that is much safer than the starting fluid. Almost ruined my engine that way this past week.
Just make sure to choke when cranking!

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

Need to fix the problem. I would have a mobile guy run a compression test and if the engine is ok have him fix the starting problem. Toss the starting fluid

scanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree, compression first. see what the PO has done to it. Then spark (which is working), then fuel. I'm gonna guess it's a fuel, filter, or carb problem.