1977 OMC Outdrive Problems

Gordon88

Cadet
Hello,
I bought the cobalt that needed some minor work to it, then it turned in to ripping the upper gear case apart and replaceing them gears. Everything was rockin for a few months and i just recently came into this problem,

I was driving with a full boat of eight and i went to plane my boat and it gets up to about 4500rpm and it just revs real high and goes nowhere. So i thought great i just stripped those gears again, after some inspection i found that all the gears were still in great shape and i even pulled the shaft out that turns the ball gears and the spline was good.
it only did it when it was under quite a bit of load at first now with just me in it it will do it right before it planes out.
I also had a spare lower unit in my garage off an older boat that i wasn't sure if it was good but i put it on to see if there was a differnce and there wasn't, I did use my shift cable but it looked to still be in great shape , Im not sure with what i got myself into here?
B O A T
Im mechanically inclined, but this is my first boat any advice for me. Besides -ust -ut -nother -housand :facepalm:

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: 1977 OMC Outdrive Problems

sounds like a slipping propeller hub
try another prop

(the pin-type props still have a rubber friction hub in them)