My engine. What is it and why does it sprinkle gas all over when I prime?

Cambion

Cadet
Just bought a 71 sleekcraft. seller claimed it was a 115 hp engine, this look right? Stamp on the motor base said evenrude so I came to here.

So when I squeeze that key assembly to prime it gas sprays out of some solenoid above the intake. Is there supposed to be something capping that off? perhaps a clog where the gas should be going instead of *everywhere*.

Picture time!

One is the current gas sprinkler system

IMG_20120619_133220.jpg

the other is the stamp on the motor. Can you tell me what this is?

IMG_20120619_133235.jpg

CadillacsCowgirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My engine. What is it and why does it sprinkle gas all over when I prime?

That is the fuel primer solenoid. There is a little red selector knob missing from yours pictured and explains why fuel sprays out. Replace asap to prevent a fire! They offer a rebuild/repair kit that replaces just the top with the selector valve that is much less expensive than replacing the whole thing.

Cambion

Cadet

this selector knob is just a cap or it directs the fuel somewhere when priming?

CadillacsCowgirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It directs the fuel within the solenoid, letting you use the auto choke on the control box. (Pushing key in while starting) I actually have my old one in my hand that was replaced on our recent engine overhaul. OMC part number for the kit is 437228. I just know that the red lever needs to be in line with the cylinder of the primer solenoid for it to work from the key/control when starting.

CadillacsCowgirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That p/n is for our '89 GT 150 but should at least let the help get you the right thing if it is different for your size/year, if they're not the same.

hidef

Lieutenant

You are missing part 25 see the link below. I am going to take a wild guess based on the photo that you have a 1984 115 but the block might have been replaced because the part # has an 87 stamp. You should have a model number that looks something like this (115TLCRD) on the left transom mounting bracket.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Intake+Manifold

CadillacsCowgirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The OMC kit I bought had the lever, hidef's link above shows the breakdown doe you clearly. Luckily it is an easy fix, good luck!