'55 lightwin carb problems?

So I finally got my rusted pistons out and put new rings on and honed the cylinders.
I checked the compression, its a little bit over 60 on both (61 and 62 respectively)
I have checked for spark and both plugs are getting spark.
But for some reason I still cannot get it to fire up.
I have gone through the carb three times now and cannot find anything wrong, but it seems like it is not getting fuel to the plugs. And even if it is, it isn't getting enough.
What would cause this? There is fuel in the bowl and what seems the rest of the carb, expect where it enters the motor.
I thought maybe the reed valves, but it seems the are ok as well.
I have the low speed set at 1/2 turn out and the high speed set at 4 facing up (this is what I read is good to start with)
The one thing I am not sure is which order the spark plugs go in. Although I have tried both ways on every adjustment I have tried.
It doesn't even try to start up, any ideas on what I could check?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: '55 lightwin carb problems?

First try another meter, you should be getting over 60psi, especially with new rings.

Disregard the numbering on the face plate, it is irrelevant, what is relevant is the setting from gently seated. Turn the low speed needle in, clockwise, until gently seated, then back it out 1.5 turns. Turn the high speed needle in, clockwise, until gently seated, then back it out 3/4 of a turn. This is the intitial starting position, fine tune from there

The coil directly above the carb feeds the top cylinder. It is usually the inside wire coming out of the first guide from underneath the mag plate.

Thanks for the quick response. I thought it should have been higher as well but I assumed it was due to the hone job taking a little off the sides.
I will try those settings tomorrow and I should be able to use another meter from a friend tomorrow.

Ok, so I was able to borrow a friends compression tester this morning. His is much nicer than mine (Mac kit that is less than a year old) but still the readings were very close to the old reading at 64 and 65 this time.

After I took the reading I re-adjusted the carb settings as you described and made sure I had the plug wires on the right plugs and still I got nothing.

I double checked my plugs to make sure I had spark and I did. I took the motor outside since it was dark and it was a very bright blue.
When I brought the motor back inside I noticed that there was very very little gasoline on the plugs.
I decided to pull on the starter with the choke on until my arm was worn out. Still no fire, but I know the carb is getting fuel because eventually some started to drip out of the carb intake (facing away from the motor).

So I took my carb off of the motor once again.
And once again everything in the carb is wet except behind the butterfly leading into the motor.
I swear everything looks clean. Every port is easily spraying carb cleaner through it.

I HAVE to be missing something here, I just don't know what it is.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Take out the plugs, spray premixed fuel into the cylinders, will it now fire and run momentarily?

Which plugs are you running? New?

Well I didn't even get a chance to try spraying fuel mixtures into the cylinders.
I moved it from inside the garage to outside, only this time I picked it up by hand instead of rolling it on the cart.
I guess the fuel moving around caused it to get in all the right places? because now she fires right up!
She lives again!
I have a water leak where the crank case splits apart however (bummer). Can I just put some high temp rtv on there or is this the cause of a warped crankcase? And if so, could I just sand it down so it matches up?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Could you post a pic of exactly where?

m288.jpg

This is not my powerhead, but I don't have a camera here at work so this will have to do.

It is slightly dribbling from the top arrow and it has a steady stream on the bottom arrow where all three things parts meet up.