Trying to change gimbal brg on MC-1

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an 1979 century w/228 i am trying to change gimbal brg -- no luck removing old -- is there snap ring i am not seeing ? i have de-greased it and do not see one at all , do i have to remove gimbal housing ? and bellows hose ? or can it come thru -- i am using a two footed slide hammer but all that seems to happen is bearing just swivels back and forth

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trying to change gimbal brg on pre-alpha

There could be a snap ring. It would be a big one holding the gimbal bearing in. You can see if one is there a lot easier than we can.

Get the 3 jaw slide hammer, you need to come straight out.

Slidehammer.jpg

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CAN NOT see snap ring at all if i remember correctly on my old sea ray it did not have one .
I GUESS i will have to break down and get 3 jaw slide hammer -- thought it would pop with a GOOD two jaw puller but i guess not thanks for the info

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Merc stopped using the snap ring a long time ago, and even if your drive did have one at one time it may have been removed during a previous gimbal bearing change.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

It's not a 'pre-alpha', it's an MC-1.. :facepalm:

haulnazz15

Captain

I'd seriously check again for the snap ring. If there is any grease/sludge buildup around the bearing, it can be hard to spot. You will need a beefy set up sanp-ring pliers to get it out too, the chinese-made pliers they sell at autozone/oreilly's won't cut it (ask me how I know, lol). If it's the original bearing, the snap ring is probably still in there.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I GUESS i will have to break down and get 3 jaw slide hammer

You can get them for free from various auto parts stores - I know at Autozone for sure - with their "loan-a-tool" program.