yamaha 115hp 4-stroke loose flywheel

bobev

Recruit
I have a 2002 115hp 4-stroke after ten yrs with no prior work the flywheel nut came loose and the flywheel broke the key which destroyed the stator. My question is if anyone has any ideas what caused this and how to fix?

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: yamaha 115hp 4-stroke loose flywheel

I'm fairly sure vibrations from the engine caused it and lack of maintenance. At the end of each season you should tighten all nuts/bolts to recommend ft/lb torque (harbor freight sells a cheap good torque meter). One thing that will help is using some extra strong water proof lock tight on the nutt. The flywheel maybe off balance as well. I'd recommend getting your service manual it will cover this sort of thing in better detail.

bobev

Recruit

I'm fairly sure vibrations from the engine caused it and lack of maintenance. At the end of each season you should tighten all nuts/bolts to recommend ft/lb torque (harbor freight sells a cheap good torque meter). One thing that will help is using some extra strong water proof lock tight on the nutt. The flywheel maybe off balance as well. I'd recommend getting your service manual it will cover this sort of thing in better detail.

No offense, but I'd like to see a show of hands of the people who tighten all the bolts on their motor each year. I don't think the flywheel nut coming off is from lack of maintenance after ten years. I change oil,filter, grease fittings etc. each yr.

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check your service manual. Every manual I've seen recommends it around end of each season. Sorry you didn't know. All my bolts where off spec from just one season of running.