Scott Atwater fuel flow trouble.

Catfishearl

Seaman Apprentice
I just got a 1953 7.5 bail-o-matic. The problem is fuel is flowing from the carb to the unit on the side but getting blocked there for some reason. I took it apart and blew it out. The only thing I can think of is there is a rubber diaphragm type gasket on the top and its old and stretched looking. Any help Please!

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Scott Atwater fuel flow trouble.

I have a later model 7.5 ('59). Fuel should flow from the...
1. tank
2. quick-connect coupler
3. fuel pump
4. carb

If you remove the line that runs from the pump to the carb and then crank the engine, you should see fuel pulse from that hose. If you do, leave the pump alone. Still, it wouldn't hurt to remove & clean the water trap bowl on the pump.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Scott Atwater fuel flow trouble.

Your description doesn't sound right Fuel flows from the "unit on the side" to the carb.The unit should be a fuel pump.
My 55 manual shows a unit with 3 hoses and a glass sediment bowl. There is a fuel in hose and a fuel out to carb hose
and the 3rd hose is the pulse hose that activates the pump.
The diaphragm is moved back and forth with vacuum and pressure from the crankcase.
If you prime it with the primer bulb on the hose un hook the hose at the carb and crank the motor the fuel should pulse out the hose.
there shouldn't be any fuel on the pulse side of the diaphram.